Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My city uses chlormine, just figuring this out recently. I had them come out and test my tap water and there readings came to 0.8ppm. Would you be able to cycle a tank on this by just using water conditioner? I know 0.8 is low to cycle a tank. My guess is yes but it might take to long. Just a question that popped in my head while reading another post.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
What exactly read .8ppm, the chloramine? What you need to know is the ammonia level after using the conditioner to break the chlorine/ammonia bond. Theoretically, if you're getting a .8ppm ammonia level from your source water, you can cycle with that. Not the best option though. I'd add some ammonia and get the level up to about 2ppm. Ammonia's cheap.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the water company came out and took some tap water and tested it for ammonia . They called me at the end of the day and gave me thier results, and said if I ever get high ammonia readings to call them and they will check the water again. I have never done the ammonia (I'm guessing liquid) Fishless cycle. I have always used a powder form biozime. I was just asking because I plan on buying a bigger tank then my 125 in the future when I move and was considering the options.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
The ammonia in chloramine might not work as it is bound to other chemicals. For a fishless cycle there are several questions about it most of the time and this might add more confusion rather than make it simple. Pure ammonia is very cheap ($1/) when you can find it so I would not try to go on the chloramine only. Sometimes the pure ammonia is tricky to find.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok thanks everyone for the info. I will go for the pure ammonia when the time comes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts