Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've long thought this was a Chipokae....opinions?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree. He was more blue when I got him (6-8 months ago), so I always thought he was something like a johanni or other blue melanochromis, until I really looked at the pictures and the barring. Then I kinda figured he was a chipokae. With his current color, I was thinking maybe an auratus, but I always thought they were more yellow.

At least I know he's a melanochromis :lol:

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Yeah, auratus males are a bit brown/yellower. The blue line would normally be less blue (maybe that's just the lighting in the photo though?) in my experience. Still, that olive dorsal blaze is what makes me think he's got a lot of auratus in him. Do you have a photo from when you got him?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, unfortunately I don't.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I always thought chipokaes have a little longer snout. I had a mean as heck 7" male when I had my first tank as a teenager. He was the meanest fish that I ever had including Red Devils that I also had. Had to get rid of him right away because he was starting fights with ever[/i]ything in the tank.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Two different collection points for auratus.

One has more blue in the stripe and is darker on top like the one in the pic...

Don't remember the collection points by name but an auratus enthusiast informed me of this on a thread I had last summer in the malwi forum.

The thread all started because I was comparing two slightly different auratus I had in my possession at the time....

·
Registered
281 Posts
gverde said:
I always thought chipokaes have a little longer snout. I had a mean as heck 7" male when I had my first tank as a teenager. He was the meanest fish that I ever had including Red Devils that I also had. Had to get rid of him right away because he was starting fights with ever[/i]ything in the tank.
i agree with this post after also keeping these fish,looks more like auratus.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts