Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. Was on here a lot several years ago but stepped away from hobby for a few years due to a divorce and the Ex getting all 20 of my tanks and I also retired from the Army. Took some time to transition from Army life to being a civilian ago but now I've got the itch back and I'm ready to go all again.
While doing some reading and looking up some fish I see there is a new group of Mbunas called Chindongo. Learned this when I was looking up what use to be Pseudotropheus Saulosi. What was the reasoning behind the new group and what other fish have been moved to this group. Is it just fish coming from Pseudotropheus that make up this group or have fish from several groupings been placed here.
Thanks for the help everyone and so excited to be back.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
They just separated out some of the barred smaller Mbuna with the assumption that they are related. Demasoni, Saulosi, Minutus, and some elongated types. Think the common "Elongatus Orantus" would be considered but it is not scientifically described yet (unless it has been recently). Johanni types seems very similar to this group, but I don't think they have been added. Joahnni was moved back to Pseudotropheus from Melanochromis.

Pseudotropheus really just became a grab bag that became without meaning, so they have split off Chinodongo, Tropheops, and Metriaclima (or Maylandia). The genus was described sloppily to begin with, far as I understand, so most of the species will eventually get other genus names.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Appreciate the response. I remember the Pseudotropheus genus kinda being the grab bag for fish who they didn't know what other genus they belonged to.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts