Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 30 Chichlid fry's. Everything went well for a month. They are about an inch now. And they have started to drop dead. One dies every other day with same behavior. They swim erratically and breath heavily for half a day before they die. Amonia 0, nitrite 0 and nitrate 20-40 ppm. Change 30% water almost every day. Feed twice a day. Can some one share any wisdom on this situation?

·
Super Moderator
40,531 Posts
What species? Calvus would have a different answer than yellow labs, for example.

·
Super Moderator
40,531 Posts
They should be easy to raise, so look for something that changed between the first month and now. What are the dimensions of the tank and you say you have 30 of them in there?

Not a cause of death, but get your nitrates under 20ppm...so your range will be 10ppm to 20ppm and never go over 20ppm.

Sounds like a water issue...did you change your dechlor or did the municipality flush the system with extra chlorine with all the storms?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's it. I did receive the notice of flushing from MUD few weeks ago. What should I do? Add more declorinatir on every water change?

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
What are you feeding them? Is it possible that they are not getting the required nutrition?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am feeding crushed tetra pellets twice a day. Portion- they finish between 1-2 minute.

·
Registered
187 Posts
OK - Classic Strum here, but I'm betting that there is something else going on.

Superchlorination is a massive killer of fish. Probably the A#1 crasher of tanks. I have never seen it where I live (luckily) but I still test my water with cheap pool test strips before water change to make sure the municipality did not do anything that would kill my friends in a water change. If you do find a lot of chlorine, consider waiting to do your water change, or add extra dechlorinator.... but I don't think this is what's going on. The reason for this is simple - almost all of your fish would have died at the same time. Not one or two per day for days.

To me, it sounds like you have a bacterial pathogen going through your tank. Here is my guess at the fact-pattern...
- You got fry or a holding female and you stuck her/them in a small tank - probably a 10-20?. This tank was cycled and probably had a HOB or sponge filter in it?
- Everything was fine (As you mention) until the fish started growing.
- When the fish started growing, your biological filtration (OMG Here he goes) was not able to keep up. It is SUPER easy to oxidize ammonia, but very hard to create crystal clear water that will not harbor bacteria.
- When this could not keep up because you just flat have too much bioload growing in there now, the fish started getting sick.
- because the bioload is higher than the biological filtration, the water is cloudy because it is full of bacteria which are eating the excess nutrients out of it. They come from the fish and they come from the food.
- cloudy water causes the fish to have to fight off innocuous bacteria at the gills and skin. This takes a lot of biological resources. The fish cannot fight off what's actually hurting them, and they die from a bacterial infection.

The prognosis - I make medicated food out of repashy. Get some repashy and a packet of gram-negative broad spectrum antibiotic and FEED it to the fish only. Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the suggestion but My water is clear and ammonia, nitrite are at 0. Trying to keep nitrate at 20ppm. Adding extra dechlorinator on every water change . Now I have started doing 20% daily. 2 days no death. But I will keep watching for over bioload.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts