Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so it's been years since I took a chemistry class. I'm doing my fishless cycle right now. And I have the test kit (I forget the brand name, starts with an 'A'), with test tubes and liquid not the paper test strips.

When comparing the the color of the liquid to the chart when testing the water I know your supposed to put the test tub up to the white back ground on the chart. But do you put the test right on the chart or do you hold it off the chart so that light can shine through? I get two different readings doing it each way, so I want to make sure I'm doing this right as my nitrites are spiking now and if I let the light shine through I'm a little over 2ppm if I put up against the chart I'm well over 5ppm.

Thanks!

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
prov356 said:
But do you put the test right on the chart
Yes, right on the chart.
Awesome thank you. That's what I thought. Been doing water changes all weekend to get the nitrites down to a reasonable level. Those ammonia eating bacteria are going to town, lol... The nitrite ones are a little slow on the uptake though. I've refrained from adding any more ammonia until the nitrites drop. Pretty sure they're there as the nitrate has gone up after doing a ~20% water change to help lower the nitrites a bit (tested an hour after WC and then again 8 hours later).

Dropped enough of Dr. Tim's Nitrifying bacteria to cycle a 90 gal tank in there Friday night (I have a 75 gal). Did a 10% WC this morning before leaving for work. Guess we'll see where we are when I get home.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I would keep checking the nitrites and once they go to 0 then start checking your nitrates. As long as there is nitrite in the tank your nitrate reading will be off since I believe it converts nitrate to nitrite then gives a reading off the results of that so it doesnt pay to even test for nitrate till the presence of nitrite is gone.

Will Dr Tims in there you shouldnt be too far off from a fully cycled tank. Heard LOTS of good stuff about that stuff.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
xxbenjamminxx said:
I would keep checking the nitrites and once they go to 0 then start checking your nitrates. As long as there is nitrite in the tank your nitrate reading will be off since I believe it converts nitrate to nitrite then gives a reading off the results of that so it doesnt pay to even test for nitrate till the presence of nitrite is gone.

Will Dr Tims in there you shouldnt be too far off from a fully cycled tank. Heard LOTS of good stuff about that stuff.
Didn't know how that nitrate test works. That's good to know. Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.