Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using a brand name float valve for auto top off in my sump for about 5 years. Well apparently they are only good for 5 years. Yesterday, I shut off my return pump and cleaned out my prefilter on my wet-dry, fired it back up and then we left for 7 hours to go to two birthday parties. Came home to a swamped living room. Apparently the float valve got stuck and kept filling and overflowing the sump. For now we have the tank taken apart and moved while we try and dry the carpet, padding, subfloor and the unfinished basement underneath. My fishies have been moved into other tanks for the time being. I haven't decided weather to keep the tank upstairs or move it down into the basement. Whichever we decide it sure won't have a float valve in it.

·
Super Moderator
1,839 Posts
So sorry for the mess you are stuck cleaning up. I can't even imagine how this will impact your water bill, let alone the cleanup frustration.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
It's really hard to find mechanical equipment that is failure proof. In this area most houses are built on slab foundations leaving the heat/ AC in the attic. With the thought that the condensation line might stop up and overflow the pan, there is a fail safe switch on the pan. I had not noticed this type switch before but it looks really reliable. Rather than a mechanical contact on the switch, it is magnetic. It makes for a really small float and with no mechanical movement other than the float itself, the movement looks as foolproof as I have seen. You might want to look into a switch of this type.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts