Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello friends,

Just looking for some cheap alternatives to media bags that people are packing pillow batting in for mech filtration. I found a garment bag in my laundry room (hoping my girlfriend wont notice it missing :D ) and it seems to be working ok. I wouldn't mind something a little finer. I remember seeing kaiser sousay (love reading his posts) post a product used for painting or something but I cant find the post now.

Thanks !!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It is for a Eheim Classic 2217. Thanks again!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Are you using a loose type of batting? Reason I ask is I don't use any sort of media bag for the mechanical batting in my 2217. I bought a roll of batting at Walmart and I can cut it to fit the round shape of the 2217, place it in there and its good. So are you using a loose type, like cotton balls?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi morpheen,

Yes I bought a pound bag of the loose batting before I knew it came in the rolls. I want to try the rolls but thought Id try the loose stuff since I already have it. Maybe I should just buy a roll? My goal with the batting is water polishing for that crystal clear look. thx!

·
Registered
509 Posts
I place loose batting directly in the 2217 w/o a bag. I put it right under the top most round pad that was included with the filter and then the top grate goes on top of that.

·
Registered
869 Posts
You can go to the fabric store and get all kinds of white felt material in all kinds of grades/thickness and make your own bags or filter socks.

This is what most folks in the marine side use for water polishing.

I suppose you could also stuff the bag with pillow batting as you are suggesting but I think it unnecessary.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thx guys, The fine filter pad that came with the filter was basically a pile of goo after about four weeks and they are $23 for a 3 pack at my lfs... DIY is more fun anyway! Cheers

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I think Kaiser mentioned using a paint strainer of some sort. Might check the paint department. I find filter floss bogs down too quickly for me. I now use a media I cut from air handler media that is sold in huge rolls for AC equipment. If you have friends in the Heating/Ac business, you might get some from them. It is way cheap and holds together well without needing a bag.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I just stuff the poly fil into my 2217 with out a bag, I put it was the top layer. Then just dump it out when it needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Not to hijack, but I have the roll style batting and it seems to really damper the output of my canisters when I use it. It does a nice job of polishing but withing a matter of 4 days my filter is only putting out 1/2 of what it was before using that.

Is the loose batting better as far as allowing water to flow through it?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts