Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings ......Again I am a newbie but learning quite fast with the Cichlid hobby. I have a 55 gal cycled tank with 15 Peacocks all doing quite well. I am on schedule with water changes, testing, maintenance procedures, etc. I have twin Emperor 400, OTB filters. At the suggestion of the pet shop owner where I purchased my setup he recommended the stock canister insert first in the posterior slot and charcoal pellets/carbon packed in the front sleeve compartment. I've been using this setup for about 6 weeks. Since that time I have read a plethora of suggestions in swapping both sleeves and placing just about everything from soup to nuts. I have placed a sponge filter on the end of the intake tube which apparently has not impeded the water flow. I feel in my heart that I should change the filters in the OTB in some way but I'm really confused and need some good advice! Thanks so much.... Dr Bob

·
Registered
449 Posts
I don't use charcoal at all; it basically removes chlorine and other unwanted chemicals (which you should have removed already) and removes foul odors which a healthy tank should not have. I use extra biomedia where the charcoal would be, but I run canister filters which don't use inserts. It is good for removing medications which have run their course and are no longer needed.

·
Registered
136 Posts
The manufacturer's cartridge filters for the Emperor 400 already have carbon in them. You do not need more carbon than you are getting from them already. Since you are running 2 Emperor 400s, you have way more carbon than a normal tank of that size would need just from the cartridges. Adding even more would be unnecessarily expensive and without benefit.

The manufacturer should specify how often to change out the cartridges. If you had a single 400 on that tank, I would more or less follow that regimen. With double, you can change less frequently, let the amount of gunk in the floss part of the filter be your guide.

Your filters should have come with a grey media basket. Consider filling this with filter floss (available cheaply in bulk) and putting that in front of the manufacturer cartridges. Alternately, with 2 units, you could consider running one with cartridges, one with floss. Either way, it will save you money on the cartridges.

I don't run a prefilter on mine, never saw the need, and worry about reduction of flow.

·
Super Moderator
40,495 Posts
I would skip the prefilter and the charcoal.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Dr. Bob;

I agree with other posters...charcoal is typically used to remove chemicals (like medication), and not necessary under normal tank operation, but if you use the manufacturer's cartridges as bought, obviously, you would get it as a matter of course. Again, I have the Reynolds biomod in place on my E400 secondary media trays, and am very pleased with it.

Cheers

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rondo....Thanx so much for the reply!! I have read and reread the Mc Reynolds mod for my Emperor 400 a gazillion times but for some reason I just can't visulize it....Are there any videos on this rather than just a description? I want to perform the mod correctly but just having trouble. Being a dentist I'm good with my hands....LOL....In dental school we had a saying, "See one, do one, teach one!" Thanx again... Dr Bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts