Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now when switching filters,you let the new one "seed" for a given time, when you take the old filter off should there be enough BB in the new filter to support the tank now? Or should you do anything special like not feeding for a few days to let the BB catch back up

What i've done is,had two filters on my shellie tank to seed the new one and then move the old one to another shellie tank to be set up this weekend so in theroy both are cycled right, both filters been on the tank together for a month

·
Registered
584 Posts
If they have both been running continuously for a month you should be fine, assuming everything else is okay, you've been using appropriate water conditioners, etc.

Better safe than sorry, when you remove the old filter, test daily for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates, and be ready with large water changes if there is a "mini-cycle".

-John

·
Registered
705 Posts
john i second your reccomendation. gotta test the water to make sure its not gonna go through a mini cycle. im currently doing it with a newly planted shrimp / guppy tank for a food supply. it sucks but should be done.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts