Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have, what I thought was an Elongatus...same face, coloring. However, just this morning I noticed a yellow cast on his body. His tail is half blue and half yellow.

Is there any Mbuna that changes blue -> yellow besides the Kenyi?

I'm fairly certain he isn't a Kenyi... but maybe he is... Just thought I'd ask...The yellow is on the belly and tail. The blue is still vibrant with darker thick vertical bars.

He very well might be a hybrid--was orignally told he was a Blue x red Red zebra from the person I bought him from, but I doubted he was that as soon as he started to grow (not the right color). Currently, he's (and he is a he--vented) at least 3". I've sort of kept him out of curiosity, but if he's a hybrid I have no idea what I'm going to do with him. I'm moving soon, and have too many fish, so I thought I'd rehome the Mbuna.

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
Some of the elongatus have blue and yellow. Browse through the profiles. Be sure to check Pseudotropheus, Tropheops and Metriaclima for elongatus species.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you DJR. I will try to get a pic up soon though. He's the monster of my tank so he hides in the main pile of rocks. He does come out if I wiggle a finger at him, :lol: but not for very long.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK--had to do a water change anyway, so I took out all the rocks while I was at it so I could net this guy. (Funny how I'm getting used to doing that :D ) He's getting too big to really escape me, but I like to give them extensive rockwork.

Side note: Captured my second holding mother while I was in there. And a thumbnail sized baby that seems to have survived being spit into the tank (the second I've rescued). Not keeping any because I'm pretty sure they're from this guy (some has stripes) and a yellow lab.

So, here are some pics. At the moment, he's unhappy and colored down. I have two with flash, one without.

General description: He has the double vertical bar across the forehead (in a brighter/lighter blue like Kenyis, etc. will have), and you can kind of see the yellow that's happening. He's normally very dark blue, almost purplish. (He was grey with black bars when I first got him, and how he's changed!) My net is 6" across by the way (he looks small b/c of the camera angle).

Looked through the profiles, but nothing jumps out right away. I'll have to see what his color looks like when it's done changing. If he's hybrid, I don't think I can give him away to anyone else. I'd feel too guilty (even I told them he wasn't pure).

I appreciate the help everyone!

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
Really, A Kenyi hybrid may be possible, since he has many similar characteristics. Don't know what he would be otherwise. Doesn't look like any Elongatus. No Mbuna that get yellowish form dark blue when mature that I can think of.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Noki. I also sent this over to the unidentified section (just remembered we have that, :lol: ).

This is really unfortunate. Breeders should know their stock, and if they suspect hybrids, they should either take care of it themselves or at least inform the buyer.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Pretty fish nonetheless.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts