Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm in the process of buying a house and am about to acquire another tank, either a 55 or a 75. A friend is downsizing his tanks and as soon as he decides which one to keep I get the other. So when I move into my new house I'm thinking about changing up my fish a little. You can see at the bottom of this how they are now. But I was thinking about maybe putting the 2 jacks in their own tank and moving the green terror in with the jag or moving one of the jacks to the new tank with the green terror. Just a thought, just wanted to see what others thought, maybe you all have a different suggestion.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Hi cichlidsrule16,

It is hard to say what you should do. I have a few questions. How big are these fish currently? Are the jacks a pair? How is the aggression and or tank dynamics currently working?

I typically fear messing with something that is working. Therefore, if one tank seems to be working well aggression and hierarchy wise, I would leave it and if one seems to be on the brink of chaos I would give the aggressor his own tank.

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My jag and one of the jacks is probably 4.5" and the other jack is around 4" probably. They've been tankmates since they were juries and no the jacks aren't a pair. I've never had any problems at all, well towards each other I haven't. I may end up keeping them together and doing something different with my 55. I have to many fish in it anyway.

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
My question first would be, what do you plan to do with the jag long-term? He's not going to be able to stay in a 55gal tank for long, and a 75gal will barely hold him - really should be in at least a 5ft. long tank. Do you intend to try to keep him with tank mates as he matures into adulthood, or keep him by himself?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well he's in the 75 now, I do plan on eventually getting a 5' or 6' tank, hopefully here soon with my taxes. I would like to keep him with atleast one tankmate but I know he's only gonna get nastier and angrier the bigger he gets. The goal would be to be able to keep him and the jacks together long term especially since they've been together for almost a year now. And I'm gonna move my green terror out of his current 55 into another tank cause there's to many fish in it. They all do really well together too. I have no compatibility issues at all, I'm just concerned about the bio load of my tanks considering the fish I have.

·
Registered
15 Posts
We just finished a fish migration, too.

One of the situations we were hoping to remedy involved a JD and GTs. My 6" female JD bullied the GTs, even tho one of the GTs is larger. I separated them by species and they all seem more content.

Good luck with your decision. Post some pictures of your tanks when you get everyone settled.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts