Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was running all sorts of different mbuna's and decided to out of impulse go down to 3 different kinds instead of 6.. I went and sold all my larger mbuna's to a local fish store, got about $75 bucks for them wasn't bad.. Here is what i changed to. This is in a 55g, do you guys think the amount is good or what should i add, reduce and or change? I went with a pretty basic setup, but i love the contrast in colors and think i will be happy with this new setup..

6 yellow labs
2 white labs
2 yellow fin mbamas
4 demasoni

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
You either need to have 12+ demasoni or you'll quickly have 1 as your dom male kills everyone else.

Not sure I'd mix YL and WL, especially without a good m:f ratio of each. Even then, you're very likely to get hybrids.

You don't want 2 of anything with Malawians. They're all harem breeders. I guess 2f is the best-case scenario with just 2, but 1m:4-5f is much better for nearly all mbuna.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
good point, i was running an all male setup, but i have a feeling i may have a yellow lab female in the bunch.. Its hard to tell right now

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
Sounds like four different kinds?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I considered the two labs as 1 kind, just different colors.

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
Oh. Well no they are two different kinds (species). And the yellow fin mbamba is usually a common name for another species of Labidochromis as well.

Might want to rethink 3 species of labidochromis as mentioned if you want to keep fry. And it's common for different species within the same genus (labidochromis) to view each other as competitors and fight.

If you are doing all male you would want one of each.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice, i ended up removing the mbama and white labs and just picked up some more demasoni.

Now i have 6 yellow labs and 8 demasoni.. Im glad im just running these two, the constrast in color is really nice.

Im actually going to be moving to a 90 gallon in the next few months..

Whats the total number of Labs/Demasonis i should run?

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
If you are going to have only those two species in the 55G and maybe add more species once you get the 90G I would double the demasoni (while in the 55G) and keep the labs as you have them.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I may stick with just 2 for now even moving over to the 90... unless I find something else that contrasts well.. suggestions?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts