Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Super Moderator
40,893 Posts
You can put more than a dozen males in a 72" tank depending on the mature size of the fish. You really don't want to begin with juveniles unless you have dozens of tanks cause you don't want to mix them. The reason you don't want to mix them is you can't tell females apart and you won't be able to sell the extras.

I do have two species of juveniles in my all-male hap/peacock but I carefully checked the appearance of juveniles and females. In my case the copadichromis have spots and the protomelas have a stripe so I'm good.

Look into buying fish that are already sexed as males. They don't have to be mature, just old enough for gender to be distinguishable.

In general, haps and peacocks tend to be more peaceful than mbuna, especially some of the pseudotropheus and tropheops. The mbuna can cause stress for haps and peacocks, and stressed fish can be sick fish. Many mix yellow labs successfully with haps and peacocks, but they may be THE most peaceful mbuna.

·
Super Moderator
40,893 Posts
Both the dolphin (9") and the furcifer (10") are large fish meaning because you chose those, you can have fewer fish total.

Take a look at Your Tanks by Member at stocking used by experienced all-male fish keepers like Joea, Fogelhund or GoofBoy to get ideas.

Think in terms of 18 fish if they will all mature at 6" or less, and then subtract from your total for each fish you choose that matures larger than 6".

Members may not reply if they do not have experience with these fish. I would venture to say most members have never kept furcifer since it is a 10" fish and you need a really big tank.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts