Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was thinking of doin a 75gallon but after thinking long and hard i now want to go 125gallons i figure do it nice and right!!! went to my lfs i seen a 125gallon was 6 feet long and i think 18 inc wide how does that sound to u guys? i told theme i was thinking of doing hap and peacock all male tank. they told me i would be able to put a dozen or so fish in there but i was think with 125gallon that dont seem like very much what do u all think?? i know i want too start my tank with all jelveniles and i know with doing so i wont know the males from the females but i figure that can still leve the idea of doin a male and female stank as long as i pair theme right. would i be able too put some mbuna in the tank too? i know your mbuna or mostley if not all omenivore and herbivore and your hap and peacocks are mostley carnivore. if they all have a deff diet think can be harder too do from what i understand. any info on what u all think i should and can do i just need some idea too get me on the right path. by the way are pseudotropeys and tropheops sp in the same fam as mbuna can u house theme togrther? another idea i had was stocking with fish that have size too theme and color when they mature

·
Super Moderator
40,698 Posts
You can put more than a dozen males in a 72" tank depending on the mature size of the fish. You really don't want to begin with juveniles unless you have dozens of tanks cause you don't want to mix them. The reason you don't want to mix them is you can't tell females apart and you won't be able to sell the extras.

I do have two species of juveniles in my all-male hap/peacock but I carefully checked the appearance of juveniles and females. In my case the copadichromis have spots and the protomelas have a stripe so I'm good.

Look into buying fish that are already sexed as males. They don't have to be mature, just old enough for gender to be distinguishable.

In general, haps and peacocks tend to be more peaceful than mbuna, especially some of the pseudotropheus and tropheops. The mbuna can cause stress for haps and peacocks, and stressed fish can be sick fish. Many mix yellow labs successfully with haps and peacocks, but they may be THE most peaceful mbuna.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
heres two hap i like off the top of my head cyrtocara moorii common namd hap moorii, blue dolphin and lethrinops furcifer common name green face lethrinops... can they be put together and also what other sp will go good with theme in 125gallon and how many fish can i add total?? plzz share sum idea if u have any

·
Super Moderator
40,698 Posts
Both the dolphin (9") and the furcifer (10") are large fish meaning because you chose those, you can have fewer fish total.

Take a look at Your Tanks by Member at stocking used by experienced all-male fish keepers like Joea, Fogelhund or GoofBoy to get ideas.

Think in terms of 18 fish if they will all mature at 6" or less, and then subtract from your total for each fish you choose that matures larger than 6".

Members may not reply if they do not have experience with these fish. I would venture to say most members have never kept furcifer since it is a 10" fish and you need a really big tank.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.