Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to ask if my Yellow Labs, Kenyi & Auratus juveniles will try and mate when they mature?

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
Yes if there are not enough mates of the appropriate species. Less likely if you have one male and seven females of each species.

I've always wondered about kenyi and labs with both males being yellow. I could see the kenyi male beating up the lab male, viewing him as a competitor. But if he is looking for a female, he will look for blue bars so maybe not such a cross-breeding risk.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks DJRansome.

Thats pretty reassuring.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
DJRansome said:
>snip<
I've always wondered about kenyi and labs with both males being yellow. I could see the kenyi male beating up the lab male, viewing him as a competitor. But if he is looking for a female, he will look for blue bars so maybe not such a cross-breeding risk.
Believe it or not we have a female kenyi that after two years turned yellow. She has spawned with a male johanii quite a few times since.

This never happenned when there were female johannii in that tank, but we removed them to try to control aggression and since then we have noticed those two spawning.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
fox you mean to say we can't be 100% sure all the time...

So what do you people recommend, if I want to add one or two species?

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
If you have a 72" tank with three species and one male with seven females of each, I'd feel pretty safe saving fry.

If you prefer to have less females and more species then I just would not save fry. But that may cause aggression problems.

You can always try an all-male tank with one of each species, males only and no two looking alike. But that would mean removing either the male kenyi or the male labs because they look alike.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DJRansome I have a 48" tank with these 3 species.

Have 6 Auratus, 5 Kenyi and 5 Labs.

2 of my Kenyi's blue color has dulled and they are showing a very slight yellowy tinge. They are between 1.5 - 2 inch in size. Do you think these two are males?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I am not sure about 100% surity. We had three kenyi, 1m 2f, in a 30G tank and had a power outage. One survived and we put her, blue at the time into another tank that had johanni's. After about four months or so she turned yellow but by this time we had removed all the female johanni in that tank.

We think she took on the male color to keep from being picked on but she has held quite a few times now and we have caught the johanni spawning with her.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks again fox.

Good that I don't have Johanni in my Tank...

Hope the others are safe bets???

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
I would not add fish due to the size of your tank. If you could get a larger tank I would add kenyi and auratus females first to manage aggression before I would consider another species.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts