Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered 5 electric blue (Sciaenochromis fryeri) online about a month ago. The fry being sold were from 3 mothers. Three survived the first shipment and two were shipped later. The first three look odd to me. The male has a blue head, dorsal fin, and white stripe with a yellow body. The females are the gray color but have slight yellow on the lower half of their bodies. Of the two shipped later, the male is a very pale blue with white stripe and the female is gray. The person I purchased them from said that he does keep yellow labs with them and sent me a photo of the male yellow lab, which looks like my fish except mine has a blue head. I know this is slightly uncommon, but how can I tell for sure. I wanted to breed and have a female holding right now, but I do not want hybrids. I will post a photo as soon as I can, but this is really bothering me and I was wondering how I should handle this. Thanks

Maria

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I would be asking for my money back and never buying from him again

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hmmm..
I`m not sure, but I don`t think my S. Fryeri looks like that. Then again mine are fully gown and their colors are as they should be.
Hope u find out if ur fish are hybrids or not.

·
Registered
495 Posts
i think it looks like a hybrid with a type of peacock. Thats why the color is slowly coming. If it was yellow labs wouldnt the yellow would be there from a young age? Get a picture of the females for me as the males could just be showing weird colors as they color up.

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Head shape is wrong, body is wrong, verticle stripes are too few. I believe these are hybrids, but not likely with the yellow labs. More likely with another hap or a peacock.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.