Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a fish very aggresively protecting and fanning a cichlid-stone cave and when I looked inside with a flashlight I saw a patch about an inch across toward the rear on the floor. I understood they usually lay on walls or roofs of their caves but I cant see the roof without removing the stone. If the patch I see is eggs they would have to be rather small for the size of the species. I have swimming pool sand as the substrate and the patch appears to be more tannish colored. Can anyone tell me anything about eggs for this species?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Quoted from Rick Borstein: "The eggs are tan-pink in color and hatch in about 4 days and wriggle for about 4–5 more days before free-swimming. I pulled the terracotta cave and placed it (without the parents) in a 10-gallon tank for hatch out. The fry were immediately able to eat baby brine shrimp. They are moderately fast growers for the first 60 days and then slow down. At five months old, they are about 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 inches and ready for sale."

Report April 2005 by Rick Borstein .

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have had Ricks report from the GCCA site since I bought my stock at a GCCA meeting auction. It doesn't answer my question. The ndobhoi are one of the larger lamprologines with males reaching 6 inches and the females almost the same. Konings reports spawn size averages 150 which is more than most lamprologine. The larger the number of eggs per spawn the smaller the eggs usually. Just how large, or small depending on approach, ARE the eggs of ndobhoi? I have never spawned them and don't want to disrupt the process until I know what I am lookiing for or at. I am loathe to pull the cave and turn it upside down just to inspect the roof if what I have already seen (though not clearly) are the eggs. Help! If I already have lost one spawning because the fry have been eaten by other tank occupants (I have one lonely survivor) I don't want to do it again.

Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.