Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a fantastic piece of wood last summer in my woods. It's an old stump. Very dry. Very hard. I added it to my outdoor box turtle enclosure, where it was half submerged.

I decided to use it for an aquarium. It's pretty massive and would need some trimming to fit in a 180 I'm planning for American cichlids. I just started cutting it and noticed the dust was red. Once cut, it's clear that its cedar do to the coloration and faint odor.

I've already checked some old posts here, and on Google. Some say it's great for a tank, some say no way. I'd like to hear from anyone here with experience on this and folks I trust. It's a killer piece. No rot or soft areas. It's incredibly hard, and a pain to cut.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,008 Posts
Iggy, was this wood from an actual cedar tree or was it maybe Arborvitae or a Juniper? Not sure if it makes a difference in the long run though. I've also seen arguments on both sides of the discussion.

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Possibly Juniper, but not arborvitae. The trunk was really big. I sent a pic to my Dad. He's a big tree guy, and said it definitely looked cedar. So I was just rolling with the old man's wisdom concerning species.

Thanks Deeda

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Iggy let me start by saying I have never personally had it in my tanks myself. With that said I have known a couple guys in the clubs that have used it in tanks and they have said in the past as long as it is well aged (dry and not soft in any way) and well soaked that it is safe to use. So if it is older and hard like you said and you already had it half soaked for a summer, I'd tend to lean towards it being safe.

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you Steve

Some of it has been soaked. Upper half, not at all. I've used wood in aquariums before. Honestly though, I had no idea what species it was, because I never had to cut it.

This piece essentially makes or breaks the tank. Tough decision...

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've decided to move this piece back outside. Once I'm out of freezing temps, I'll submerge it entirely in the box turtle pond. Let it soak for 8-9 months.

Thanks for your advice on this.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Probably the wise thing to do. Hard to not use it now though isn't it? ;)

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Yeah thats a nice looking piece of wood. I like the turtle habitat as well that's gotta be really enjoyable to just sit back and watch them do their thing.

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm glad you agree.

This group is a blast. Lots of different personalities. They're all hibernating in a fridge since November. Starting to miss the little buggers...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts