Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the last couple days I have noticed that I have had at least 2, maybe 3 new Demasoni's holding. Was just cleaning up around the tank and putting some stuff away when I notice 2 of the bigger more dominant ones chasing one another in a circle. They werent really going fast, but at a nice steady pace. Also I noticed that both of them were really colored up, where the blue was so dark it was almost black or really deep purple. Watched them doing this for about 4 minutes in a little space in the rock pile, then they came out into the open and did it again where I managed to get some it on video with my phone. (only thing that was close at the time)

So do you think it is mating or just showing one another who is the boss?

Sorry the video is sideways :oops:

http://s1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb4 ... EO0005.mp4

·
Banned
406 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah that it what I amounted it too after seeing this a few more times. Things are settled down now more, but I did notice alot more of it going on after the lights are out.

·
Super Moderator
40,531 Posts
You would not remedy it because this is normal mbuna behavior. Unless there are too many injuries and fish are being forced to lurk under the surface to avoid getting beat up. If that happens you check your stocking and aquascaping. If that's good then you remove either the aggressive fish or the victim fish and return him to the LFS.

I remove the victim fish. In my tank it is usually a sub-dominant male and at that point the fish are trying to tell me I have too many males in the tank.

·
Registered
118 Posts
alright, I notice aggression every now and then with my yellow labs, and I always was suspicious that I may have too many males, its just so hard to tell the differences

·
Registered
152 Posts
Liquid_Pyro said:
alright, I notice aggression every now and then with my yellow labs, and I always was suspicious that I may have too many males, its just so hard to tell the differences
I agree! There is plenty of aggression between my labs at the moment (except 1, which is certainly a female and being chased a lot), the other 3 are always posturing, circling etc. Perhaps I have 3 males and 1 female? I just don't know.

·
Registered
152 Posts
DJRansome said:
g forced to lurk under the surface to avoid getting beat up.
Do you mean under the substrate? Or at the top of the tank, hanging by the surface? Cos I have 2 rustys that hang together at the surface all the time, whilst what is clearly a male swims around wherever he pleases. Could be time to net some out....

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yes I think I may have an uneven male to female ratio as well, but I would hate to accidentally get rid of one of my females thinking it was a male...the venting thing is kinda difficult

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
dielikemoviestars said:
By the way, those are gorgeous dems. Only 2-3 of mine will color up like that at once.
Thank you. I have been blessed with nicely colored fish, Esp the Dems. Some of my male turn such a deep purple that they look almost black! I love em, they have such a personality. I walk by the tank and they are begging for food worse than my 2 dogs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.