Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any ideas of what the fish in this video might be a mix of? Sorry, video quality sucks, it was taken on a phone. The shape of the head makes me think CA cichlid of some kind. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
you caught this in a pond? Its a red devil/midas.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! That's what I was thinking :) Yes, it was caught in a pond by a subdivision that my brother lives in. It is now back in an aquarium where it belongs :thumb:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Raschael said:
Thanks! That's what I was thinking :) Yes, it was caught in a pond by a subdivision that my brother lives in. It is now back in an aquarium where it belongs :thumb:
Man I can't believe some people could aimlessly throw a tropical fish in a pond. Not only is it illegal but what a hurting it does on the environment. I would check that pond out to make sure there are no more other tropical fish in it. Most likely there isn't but you did find a pretty mean fish in a pond. How did you catch it? Rod and reel? Or netted? Was it fighting pretty good? You might find some more in there. Anyways good luck with the new addition, and thank you for not throwing it back in.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I didn't catch it, my brothers neighbor did. They caught it with a rod and reel. My brother is cleaning up his old aquarium for the fish's new home :thumb: I'm not sure how we could check the rest of the pond. . .it's pretty big! My niece recently caught an 8-10 lb bass in there, so I'm sure it has had some competition.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Maybe you can advise the fish and game warden , I know most people don't like dealing with these people but that's a bit of a problem. It just didn't swim from CA to a subdivision in Texas. I would notify them if you want to continue to fish there. There are many cases where tropical fish have ruined ecosystems. It's stuff like this that might govern the aquarium hobby. Negligence is gonna be the downfall. I'm sure who ever did this didn't want to kill the fish, but they should of gave it away or flushed it. Sometimes we have to do things that we don't want to but in the long run it saves the environment.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's a good idea. We'll do that. Hopefully they can do something about it. The pond is on private property that only the people in the subdivision have access to, so we'll see. I just don't understand why people think it's okay to just dump fish anywhere. :-?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's about 4 inches and going into a 60g for now, it's the only fish in the tank.

·
Registered
365 Posts
you could be surprised! what fippercon's saying is real, tropical fishes can ruin ecosystems they don't belong to...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts