Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My caudopunks always hang out in front of the rock piles on the sand and drive each other and the multi's that share the tank with them away from their territory.

I want to add some xenotilapia flavipinnis, would it be wise to substitute the caudopunks for something that will hang tighter to the rocks like paracyps or julis? I really like the caudopunks and hate to get rid of them, but the flavipinnis were intended to be the center piece fish from the beginning.

Any advice appreciated,

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I haven't kept them, but did research them a bit. Flavipinnis are a biparental mouthbrooding, pairing fish. Young will school, yes, but that eventually ends as they mature. There will be a certain amount of conspecific aggression once paired up. Depending on tank size, you may end up with only one pair of these. In which case, they should be able to stay out of the caudo territory. But, again, depends on tank size. If you want a xeno that schools longer, you should look at the maternal mouthbrooders instead.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Prov, I think they school while not spawning.
What that suggests is that they'd pair, spawn, exchange and protect eggs/fry, release, then the bond would break and they'd go back to schooling. Maybe so, as I've not kept them, but even if so, it could get uncomfortable for those that aren't paired for the few weeks that's going on. And what if a few pairs form, which is probable, and at random times? It'd be interesting to see what they actually do. I've also read what I think you're suggesting in that some xeno's may pair seasonally. Unlikely to happen that way in an aquarium. One way to find out, I guess. Let us know, as there's not a lot of info out there. But, one reliable source I use says to let a pair or two form, depending on tank size, and remove the rest. And also that they can stress out easily from tankmates and when defending territories. And that they defend these territories for several breeding cycles. FWIW

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I think that the bi-parental mouth brooding has been misreported. I've had two different colonies from different locations and neither switched when breeding as some of my other xenos did. That said, one group constantly schooled even while breeding while the other group was more stand-offish when they paired. I kept a colony with some L. similis and they did well so the caudopunks won't pose much of a problem (similis were some of the nastiest shellies I've ever kept).
Because your tank is so large and you want at least one pair you may as well get a bunch and try it out. Most people like xeno's so you should have no trouble unloading the extras if things don't work out as planned.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Prov,

I'm subscribing to both schools of thought lol. I am not sure how multiple pairs would behave and if they would even leave their territories after spawning. I hate to buy a group and only one pair work out, they are expensive and I can't find them locally.

Darkside,

What do you mean by "switched when breeding"? When you say they were stand-offish, did they require large territories or did you mean they just bickered between themselves? There is little valid information on the net about the bi parental xenos and I'm not sure if they do better in groups like some suggest or in pairs as others suggest. Hopefully you can shed some light on the group dynamic?

I found a group of 11 for $160, they are young adults. I want cautious about biting the bullet on them.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm just going to order all 11 and see what happens. Hopefully I can get some money back on the extras if I can only keep a pair.

Prov,

How would you aquascape the tank?
Final stocking list will be:
Multi colonly- Their shells are in a 18x12 area on the far left side of the tank
pair of caudopunks
11 xenotilapia flavipinnis- Until I figure out how big of a group will work.

I know you can't layout it out for me, but I have no idea how to go about it :(

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
How would you aquascape the tank?
I'm not sure it's that important to get it right from day one. I'd suggest putting something in the other corner to attract the caudo's to it, like a couple of rocks and a shell or two, and leave the rest open and see how it goes.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
If they're like other xeno's I've had, they'll flee when startled, so I'd hesitate to rock things up too much. This may be an issue, as my xeno's flee right into the brevis territory all the time. Maybe make a rock border next to the shell bed as a divider, but you may still end up with xeno's in the shell bed quite often. I love xeno's but they can be skittish, some more than others.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do you think they need anything to orient themselves too? Like when they start to pair up would you place a flat rock or two so there are visual objects to define territories? The fish I am getting are pretty much mature so spawning should only be two or three months down the road.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Do you think they need anything to orient themselves too? Like when they start to pair up would you place a flat rock or two so there are visual objects to define territories?
Aquascaping for success is the fun stuff. Wouldn't hurt to put a couple of flat rocks in there to see if it makes a difference. You'll find after you get them and see how they behave, you can make modifications to suit them and the others.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah your right, I'm just so nervous because people talk about how fragile they are.

Can you think of a better way of removing the caudopunks than removing all the rock and waiting until tonight when the lights are off to catch them by flash light? I can pick out the pair pretty easily.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm a fan of some flat rocks leaned up against the back and the corners, with some gaps here and there for entering and exiting. I added these for my cyps to hang out around, but have found that my Enants use these consistently for laying low when things are stressful. If one or two males are dominating the open sand, all the other sifters will take cover out of sight.

Anything would work, of course, but the flat rocks won't eat up much of your sand bed, and seem to help quite a bit.

Good luck--hope you post pics and let us know how the flavipinnis work out. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
All I can offer you are pictures taken on my blackberry :lol:

I will post a new thread with all of my observations. Already spoke with the dealer, hopefully the fish will be shipped out on Monday for a Tuesday arrival :thumb:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts