Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so my cat keeps jumping up on my 20L and its making the glass lids flex alittle,stand is little low, besides from getting a higher stand any tricks to keep the stupid thing from jumping on it?(and cant give it away already tried haha)

·
Registered
639 Posts
Get a spray bottle with water and spray it the second it jumps on your tank, or even gets close to your tank. Most cats hate water especially getting sprayed in the face with it. It will learn to associate your fish tank with getting sprayed in the face.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
should of thought of that, only really trys to do it at night which i dont get not like it can get any of the fish there all in hiding for the nights rest

·
Registered
162 Posts
I know the feeling, our cat seems to think that the aquariums are her own little personal drinking fountains!! :roll:
eeztropheus said:
Get a spray bottle with water and spray it the second it jumps on your tank, or even gets close to your tank. Most cats hate water especially getting sprayed in the face with it. It will learn to associate your fish tank with getting sprayed in the face.
This is a great idea! I've done it before with kitchen counters and the table, but I didn't even think about it with this situation.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
While cleaning my 29 a few years ago, Ringo jumped up on it to lay on the warm light, have a drink, and watch the fish through the glass as he always does.

Lid was off. He never jumped up there again!

Water bottle is ok, but they have to know you have easy access to it, and they'll just misbehave when you're not around. Packing tape, sticky side up, works pretty well to keep cats off of things too!

G

·
my cats do the same thing.. not too often.. my 10gallon on the table they are obsessed with drinkign the water comin out of the filter... occassionaly they try to attack the fish thru the glass... i lock my cats in the bedroom when we leave and i have a 75g in there with my ca/sa cichlids... a few times i caught punkin on top of the ac110 jus staring at me like i had 3 heads... my other cat will usually run soon as i yell or stand up when shes trying to drink out of the filter the other one jus looks at me like what the problem is? and one time i went in the room and the top to the ac110 was in the tank so u know that he did it... and cats can jump really high.. so getting a higher stand isnt gonna do anything.. we havent tried the water bottle technique as of yet since it hasnt really been that big of a problem... occasionally ill find a cat hair or 2 in the tank lol... the tape idea sounds cool... i also bought from petsmart some spray that they dont like and deters them from going on things but i never used it and idk how safe it would be to spray your hood with it as far as poisoning the fish goes.... my cats are crazy thou my 1 cat decided that he was gonna jump up on my leather jacket that has fur on the hood and is on the back of the door on a hook, climb up the jacket to attack the fur.. so i started putting the jacket in the hall closet and left my hoodies on the back of the door so now he throws himself at the door i hear a loud thunk then he swings back and forth on my hoodies till i open the door and he jumps down then one day the door was open and i hear a creepy door creaking noise and i go in the room and this is what i see lol

then he doesnt know how to get down and cries lol i had to like coax him into jumping down so he didnt scratch the @*&% out of me lol

G

·
lol he jumped up on my dresser.. then launchs himself at my hoodies that are on the back of the door hanging on a hook then jus climbs up the hoodies... the first time i heard a thunk and i opened the door and i turn my head and he's jus staring at me hangin off them now he still does it but if the door is open he climbs all the way up... if the door is closed he swings back and forth..i'll hear thunk!!! and then u see his shadow thru the crack at the bottom of the door swinging back and forth.. both my cats have issues this is the other one... sorry to hijack the thread lol

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
My mom use to have problems with cats getting into her garden a few years back and she did some research. She got a spray bottle and added some Orange juice and water. Sprayed it in the garden daily and presto no cats. Cats don't like citrus for some reason. Try this it might work for you.

G

·
omg its the funniest thing ever... if you put an orange peel up to a cats nose they freak out and run away... thats a realy good idea..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts