Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there a reason people use synos instead of other catfish in their cichlid tanks?

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
cjacob316 said:
is there a reason people use synos instead of other catfish in their cichlid tanks?
Synodontis have a tough skin, allowing them to survive cichlid attacks. Many other catfish cannot, while others are too aggressive for the cichlids. It is simply a balance that works well.

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh ok. well what would be a good syno for a 125 full of mbuna. they would come in handy in cleaning up some stray food as well as some fry I found hiding out

·
Registered
554 Posts
synodontis petricola, a group of 5 of them :) (none of these guys like being all alone, I think)
I like the lucipinnis myself, smaller, cute little spots.
another one you might think about is the upside down catfish - synodontis nigriventris but I think they like to be in even more of a school.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have three featherfin cats (syno. eupterus) in a 75G and I like them pretty well. I have not kept the other syno's so I can't compare them though.

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
I have a group of 6 Syno. Multipunctatus in my 125 mbuna tank. They are just as social as the mbuna.

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
Kanorin said:
I have a group of 6 Syno. Multipunctatus in my 125 mbuna tank. They are just as social as the mbuna.
Plus one. I have both multipunctatus and petricola. Both like to be in groups and both move like sharks, are out and about and social. However between the two the multipunctatus do a better job of fry control.

Eupterus are more territorial between themselves, are more nocturnal and get bigger. So even one of those would work, but having three is not necessarily better.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
I have 2 eupterus in a 150 tall, and they've decided the big one gets the right half, the small one gets the left half. They won't come out unless the lights are off, or there is food. [/list]

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
The fish is from the Congo, not the Rift Lakes. Pretty fish though.

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
cjacob316 said:
why are synos so pricey?
They aren't easy to breed :wink:

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
Ah but they live for 28 years or more, so one purchase and you are set. :thumb:

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have 1 large angelicus and 1 striped syno in w/my mbuna, no issues at all, in fact the mbuna stay out of their way.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
jordanroda said:
I once had a Angelcus live over 20 years :zz:
They do live long, my largest male multipunctatus was imported into Canada as a wild caught male in 1981. Most of the others were born in the eighties and the group is still breeding.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts