Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
cjacob316 said:
is there a reason people use synos instead of other catfish in their cichlid tanks?
Synodontis have a tough skin, allowing them to survive cichlid attacks. Many other catfish cannot, while others are too aggressive for the cichlids. It is simply a balance that works well.

·
Registered
553 Posts
synodontis petricola, a group of 5 of them :) (none of these guys like being all alone, I think)
I like the lucipinnis myself, smaller, cute little spots.
another one you might think about is the upside down catfish - synodontis nigriventris but I think they like to be in even more of a school.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have three featherfin cats (syno. eupterus) in a 75G and I like them pretty well. I have not kept the other syno's so I can't compare them though.

·
Premium Member
3,014 Posts
I have a group of 6 Syno. Multipunctatus in my 125 mbuna tank. They are just as social as the mbuna.

·
Administrator
40,638 Posts
Kanorin said:
I have a group of 6 Syno. Multipunctatus in my 125 mbuna tank. They are just as social as the mbuna.
Plus one. I have both multipunctatus and petricola. Both like to be in groups and both move like sharks, are out and about and social. However between the two the multipunctatus do a better job of fry control.

Eupterus are more territorial between themselves, are more nocturnal and get bigger. So even one of those would work, but having three is not necessarily better.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.