Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a female Cyp that has been holding for approximatly 4 weeks. I would like to catch her and strip the fry. I have read the articles on stripping but have been unsuccessful catching her. My tank is 5ftx1.5ftx2ft. How do I catch her?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
I usually tear down the tank and remove water until there are only a few inches. Then 2 nets work.

Some get lucky catching them asleep on the substrate by netting them several hours after dark. I can never tell which is the holding and by the time I figure out which one I want they are all awake and alert.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Use the biggest net you can find, and yes, you might have to remove some of the objects in the tank. If you catch the wrong female, keep her out of the big tank until you catch the right one. No point in catching the wrong one twice.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the replies. I turned the light off early and waited till it was good and dark outside. I had to leave the lights in the fish room off as the fish were waking up. I have a head lamp with a red light and using that I caught all four of my adult Cyps. The female was carrying 6 fry. I think one ended up in the main tank while transferring to the tumbler. Still getting 5 of 6 transfered felt like an accomplishment. I will post pictures later.

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
Congratulations! You did good. I tried to catch a holding cyp many times, but in a 240G with lots of decorations and plants that could not be removed, it proved to be an impossible task for me. Very frustrating, because I never had any fry survive in the main tank. Plus females tended to hold much longer than was good for them.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's the recent additions. I'm not sure why the picture posted sideways.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts