Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't even know where to begin. I have a 180 gallon tank running 2 fx6 filters with a mixed stock of some mbuna peacocks and haps that was running well for over a year. At one point my original 120 gallon sprung a leak and I was able to upgrade without any loss of my stock to the 180.

Over the weekend I had to go to work to get caught up and left my wife at home with our 3 kids. My 3 1/2 boy decided to dump a whole large can that was just opened of sinking pellet food in the tank while I was away. I came home to every single fish either dead or laying motionless on the bottom of the tank gasping for air. I immediately did a water change and started suctioning out all the food but once I started all it did was disturb it in the process making it impossible to see what I was doing. Nothing could be saved it was a total loss. My question is what steps should I take to start over again. I don't want prematurely start adding anything, not that I would at the moment. Should I empty the tank completely and do new sand and everything or is 90% good enough with cleaning both filters and vacuuming sand when the murkyness clears up. Right now it's murky in there and has been that way since yesterday despite 2 water changes.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated as I am just devastated over this after putting so much work into watching my stock mature

·
2,088 Posts
If it was simply food dumped in the tank, a water change should be sufficient without further cleaning or panic. Check your parameters for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Give the filter a quick shake to get rid of any large chunks of stuff. Don't do a deep clean of filters until you know your water parameters are ok. The BB should be fine, as it sounds like the tank was not impacted for more than a day or so.

Once you can provide water parameters, others can help get you going again.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Wow - that sucks man. How long was the food in there? 180gallons should have a bit of room before things go super negative, but even a low level of ammonia can be deadly. Sorry that happened.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would say it deteriorated over the course of 10 hours. I'm still blown away by what happened. I removed all my rock and found some more dead fish so I'm sure that's not helping thing clear up. I did another water change of about 80% but for some reason my tank is still cloudy. I'm going to let everything run for a couple days and leave it alone then check where my water parameters are

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.