Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum not to fish! lol What would be the best set up for the 5 baskets in these filters? Im running two in my 150 Afican Cichlid tank. Right now I have the Bio-sponge on the bottom then carbon w floss then carbon again with floss then the bio rings with floss then just floss? Any better ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank You!

·
Registered
63 Posts
i was wondering the samething bro cause i just purchase the same filter an was wondering what kind of media should i go with. hey guys any info or anyone who has dealt with these filters

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
You're going to find that just about anything will work, but the change I'd make is to start with (meaning this is where the water first passes) a coarse sponge, then go with the floss to filter out finer particles, and the last 3 baskets biomedia. Carbon is optional and can be placed with the floss just as you have. I just like to go heavy on a biomedia that doesn't get replaced. All media will do bio, but you're going to periodically toss the floss. Will it matter, really? No, but just suggesting what I'd consider optimal. In a fully established tank you're going to have biofiltration going on all over the system. Tossing some floss won't matter.

Instead of the floss you could go with a finer sponge that just gets rinsed. The only thing to watch with going too fine is that it'll clog and slow the flow down in the filter. Another option is one sponge and four baskets of biomedia. That'll give you a nice flow through the filter at the trade off of not filtering out really fine particles.

When you open the can to clean it, also rinse the biomedia in dechlorinated water to ensure that it's not getting gunked up. Clean oxygenated water needs to pass all around and through the biomedia for it to be fully effective.

HTH

1 - 3 of 3 Posts