Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a cascade 1000 canister. I feel like it's not flowing as much as it has been in the past. It's only 6 months old. I cleaned it out, cleaned the impeller. The floss pads are shot but I had to put them back in and order more. My question: How do I check to ensure I'm getting proper flow out of this thing?

·
Registered
24 Posts
You have probably done this, but just in case!! Make sure the baskets are perfectly aligned and make sure the rubber grommet connected to the tube in the top basket is seated properly. I have a 1000 and 1200 and had a flow problem when I first set them up. A little adjustment and all is well. Hope this helps in some small way.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I took it apart twice nothing seems to be working. I'll see if the new floss pads help but they were basically pieces of paper when I went to clean it. I checked penn-plax, first off, cust service stinks, you can't get anyone on the phone, I even left a vm and nobody called me back. I did get in touch with sales but they won't help as it's a different dept which is odd as I've been to their headquarters, it's a small place with one office. But they did have a warranty replacement portal which is simply upload proof of purchase, pay 35 and they'll ship you a new one. So I did that but I used the upc on the old box, I hope it works.

·
Registered
165 Posts
ironspider said:
The floss pads are shot but I had to put them back in and order more.
Welcome to the forum! :dancing:

Without knowing the density of the pads, the number of fish you have, the size aquarium they are in, how frequently you feed them, not to mention what it is you feed them, it's hard to gauge what the potential problem is.

I have two Cascade 1000s on a 75g, and can easily go 7 weeks between filter changes on each of them. I bought some 100 micron pads (fine), but chose to stick with my medium density pads because the manufacturer recommended the fine pads be changed every 7 - 10 days regardless of the fish load, and ain't nobody got time for that!

How long have you gone between pad changes?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have about 15 fish mbuna's in a 55 gallon, feeding once per day.

Oddly the filter seems to be like it was before for some reason. But I still have the replacement coming which is nice, Now I'll have 2 cascade 1000 for the 55g.

·
Registered
165 Posts
ironspider said:
I have about 15 fish mbuna's in a 55 gallon, feeding once per day.

Oddly the filter seems to be like it was before for some reason. But I still have the replacement coming which is nice, Now I'll have 2 cascade 1000 for the 55g.
Excellent!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts