Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the local LFS today, and I picked up a small mesh bag of this Reef rock It was kind of an impulse buy, as I'm looking to buffer the Ph in my tank. My newly cycled tank has a PH of 7.2, and I was wondering if adding this will bring my PH up and keep stable as well? I was about to buy the Caribsea crushed coral to put in the gray plastic containers in my Emperor 400's, but was thinking the 6 rocks that came in the bag, would look good mixed in with the lace rock I have in there now.

Anyone have any experience with these rocks? Much appreciated!

·
Registered
656 Posts
There seems to be a lot of debate on this subject, but here's what I think is the right answer. The coral or reef rock just placed in the tank will probably not dissolve fast enough to raise ph, unless your water is extremely acidic(in which case you would be using buffer already)

Having crushed coral in the media baskets may have been a better choice, I believe it would dissolve faster, and have more of an effect with the water being forced to flow through it.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I would like to add to my previous post that my answer was based on scientific principles explained to me by other people that I don't claim to fully understand.

I would also like to add that I live about 9 miles from Irish Johnny, our tap water is virtually identical, and all of my tanks with aragonite substrate measure 8.2 ph, So you can draw your own conclusions about how my ph was raised.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.