Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if labs and mbuna are able to utilize carbohydrates? Being algae eaters, I assume there would be some capacity to digest carbs; or will they just poop it out?

I'm asking because I'd like to try feeding koi pellets. The main ingredient is fish meal, squid meal, wheat flour, corn, soybean, vitamins etc. Protein at 35%. Looks to me like most other mid-range vegie flake or pellet. My concern is the flour and corn filler.

And what about wheat germ. Anyone know if this is good to feed mbuna. Apparently its for winter water feeding pond fish because it's so easily digested. And the pellets mostly come in low protein formulas.

Cheers,
Fatty.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mostly down to cost.

I keep both pond fish and cichlids. I get specialty foods for both, and comparing the two foods together, they seem practically the same. The main difference, IMO, is the packing. It seems most foods out there are mostly made of fish meal and binders (flour/corn/soybean), with trace amounts of krill, spirulina, veg etc. For example, Hikari make one type of pellet, and market it for goldfish AND cichlids, its just repackaged. But how pellets are marketed is not a huge concern for me, I'm more worried about feeding mbuna starches/carbs from wheat and corn.

Currently I use Hikari Excel pellets: fish meal, wheat flour, wheat-germ meal, flaked corn, spirulina, alfalfa meal, krill meal, brewer's dried yeast. Is this food not made specially for mbuna? Of the first four ingredients, 3 are starches. Hence my question about feeding carbs and wheatgerm to mbuna.

·
Super Moderator
40,499 Posts
One of the things to look for in a food is a minimum of flour-type ingredients. Some is needed to hold the food together, but it's the other ingredients that give the nutritional punch.

So yes they can use carbs, but like us, broccoli is better than white flour.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts