Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the view on carbon in the filters for Trophs? I know its not essential, I just wondered how many of you troph keepers use it regularly.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I haven't used it on any tanks in at least 10 years! It is best kept for removal of meds or discoloration of water and that's all IMO.

Ray

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like the sound of this Purigen (never heard of it before), especially the line in the seachem website which says "It polishes water to unparalleled clarity." I have been rather annoyed with the amount of suspended matter in my water of late so might give it a go. Its a bit pricey though. Do you need much of it?? As it appears to control nitrates maybe it could be added to a filter before taking a vacation to keep the nitrates down.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
For water clarity, you would be better off with a micron filter pad or regular change of filter floss in your filters.

Any kind of absorbtion media, Carbon, Chempure, and even Purigen is going to help with clarity, but I think in the long run a micron filter pad would be best.

What I have seen some people do, is pack a Eheim Canister with Polishing Pads, filterfloss, and a 100 micron pad. Then run that for a day or two to polish the water.

I have used Chempure for polishing, and nitrate reduction, and it does help. It does work. Nothing beats a good waterchange though for total nitrate reduction.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts