Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've got a bit of yellow tint to our municiple water that I was wondering if I could somehow remove without breaking the bank. Would adding some carbon to a filter remove the colouring? Might it depend on what causes the tint? I have not used carbon for anything in probably 15+ years, I long ago realized it didn't make a difference to the health of my fish!

The tank I would like to clear is a 90g mbuna cichlid tank with 2 aquaclear 100/110's for filtration.

Thanks.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Heyguy74 said:
Carbon should do the trick. The yellow tint may be iron in the water. I would call and let the water co. know
We all already know about it, perhaps though, the water company could tell me what causes the discolouration?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Narwhal72 said:
Ion exchange resin will also work. And it is regenerable so in the long run it's more cost effective.

Andy
Got me thinking...I have a few unopened Chemi-pures by Boyd Enterprises that I used when I ran a 90g salt water tank. They are said to do a ton of things (so they say anyways :) ). They are several yrs old but still factory sealed. Do you think these may do the trick? I used to just sit them on top of the foam in the aquaclear 100's (now I have nylon bags of crushed coral that used to be the substrate in the saltwater tank).

This is the link to the product, different label now but I believe it's the same stuff. Instructions say 2 bags per 40-100 gallon tank, maybe I should drop 1 in and see what happens?

http://www.chemi-pure.com/prd_am/product/idproduct=1

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Chemi-pures by Boyd Enterprises
It might work, no harm in using it, but that product has always been my favorite 'most outrageous list of marketing claims' product. I see they've changed things up a bit. They now say it just extends fish life span, while they used to have it nailed down to a more specific length of time. I can't remember what it was, 4 years or 4X, some such thing. They must have an incredible R&D department to know these things. :lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts