Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there,
I'm currently getting ready to convert my 75 gal freshwater community tank to a Hap/Peacock all male set up. My question to you all is what do you use for filter media? I have and love my Marineland magnum 350 canister and may add another canister as well. I have heard "stories" that carbon is no good unless you are removing medication out of the tank.

I have came up with a way to make my current canister filter a bio-logical media set up. Do I use bio-balls, ceramic or other bacteria gathering materials. So many different views on carbon filtration and I would like to do this right. All opinions and help would be greatly appreciated. Just for additional info I will be looking at adding 12 different species for a total of 12 Cichlids and a few plecos and a few Clown Loaches.

·
Super Moderator
40,893 Posts
I never add the carbon when it is provided with a new filter. I do save it for removing medications. It can also help if your tap water has a color...like yellow water.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I use Biohome Ultimate, no carbon, and really like it; it is about $18.00 a kilo plus shipping from the distributor on the West Coast. Shipping is not too bad considering the weight and that they ship priority mail, and the last time I had some shipped they actually refunded me part of the shipping cost.

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
I had some Magnum 350s years ago. The filter is excellent at polishing water, but very lacking in space for any media. Just that small basket.

If look for an additional filter, for sure.

The last couple times I bought media it was Pond Matrix. Very porous and came in a pail/bulk.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts