Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not made a post here in so long I had to rejoin the site. I just mostly read and not had any problem with tanks in the past three years. My first tank was a mess thanks to this site got me on the right track.My problem is with the rocks,glass,fake plants and filter intake turning brown.
It's a 125 gallon 72x18x24 I keep the water at 80. Filters are ac110, Fluval 405,rena xp3 and two penguin 660 used for under substrate jets. There are close to 30 Malawi cichlid I feed once a day or every other day using nlc. A year ago I thought it was phosphate from my tap water. But none of my other tanks have the problem. At one time I had a 25lb peace of white taxes rock but would turn brown now I have it in my 75 and it stays bright white.the only other thing of is there over 125lbs limestone and other type of landscape rocks that I don't have in my other tanks. Would the larger rocks cause the algae?

·
Registered
56 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the response. Of all my tanks it has the oldest light they are the cheap all glass lights that come with the aquarium. Looks like time for an upgrading

·
Registered
572 Posts
No more algae would do the trick made by jungle

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey Cave1 ...Two words "Bristlenose plecos" ! Had the same problem a few months back in my new tank. I have 10K lights and man the stuff took off! LPS said the only cure was to clean everything or turn the lights off till its gone?? What?? I have a 4 foot 90gal and I put 4 of these bad boys in there and in two nights it was GONE! I do see a piece of green stuff from time to time but you have to look fast because it won't be there the next time you come in the room !! Also a good reason to buy more fish ...they stay small too, a plus for me, don't care for the great biggun's..

·
Registered
572 Posts
Man I got to get me a few of those in my tank,I have a 150gl an I forgot about them .I may go buy some today about 4-5 of them.
ceb2 said:
Hey Cave1 ...Two words "Bristlenose plecos" ! Had the same problem a few months back in my new tank. I have 10K lights and man the stuff took off! LPS said the only cure was to clean everything or turn the lights off till its gone?? What?? I have a 4 foot 90gal and I put 4 of these bad boys in there and in two nights it was GONE! I do see a piece of green stuff from time to time but you have to look fast because it won't be there the next time you come in the room !! Also a good reason to buy more fish ...they stay small too, a plus for me, don't care for the great biggun's..

·
Registered
219 Posts
Another excellent option is Olive nerite snails. My 55g Lake Tang. tank was covered in brown algae. 10 O. nerites completely cleaned it in less than 2 weeks. Got them on Aquabid. My 2 bristlenoses keep my CA tan spotless.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts