Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I just got my tank setup a few weeks ago, and I got some fish for it about a week later. They've all been doing fine so far, except my yellow lab has started showing some unusual behaviour. He's been really twitchy, not quite swimming outta control, but just hovering and then he starts twitching. I have noticed him trying to scratch himself on some of the decorations and on the gravel as well. There is currently an ick outbreak which I just caught, so I'm trying the salt and temperature treatment right now before I start using meds. Does the ick have anything to do with this behaviour or is it something else entirely?

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
Twitchy and rubbing on the sand (as long as it is not non-stop) could both be signs of spawning and/or aggression. The male sort of vibrates at a female to attract her or at a male to let him know who is boss. Could that be the twitching?

And flashing (rubbing against sand or decor) if occasional could be just a show-off move. It would be a symptom of irritation if it's constant and frantic.

What are the test results for pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? If some of those things are out of whack they could irritate the fish's skin and more.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Boomstik said:
Hi I just got my tank setup a few weeks ago, and I got some fish for it about a week later. They've all been doing fine so far, except my yellow lab has started showing some unusual behaviour. He's been really twitchy, not quite swimming outta control, but just hovering and then he starts twitching. I have noticed him trying to scratch himself on some of the decorations and on the gravel as well. There is currently an ick outbreak which I just caught, so I'm trying the salt and temperature treatment right now before I start using meds. Does the ick have anything to do with this behaviour or is it something else entirely?
Tank probably isn't cycled. I am just guessing because of the lack of information. "Few weeks ago", "about a week later", "some fish" leads me to believe the tank is not cycled and your fish may be on a downward spiral. You really need to get a quality test kit and report back your readings ammonia, nitrite, nitrate.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have seen this behaviour when i was putting a little too much salt in my tank, I cut down 25% of the salt and saw no more flashing, I have heard the other chemicals people add can irritate fish as well causing this type of behaviour.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Boomstik said:
This could be from elevated ammonia, elevated nitrite, or the parasite outbreak. All can cause these symptoms. Get a test kit for ammonia and nitrite, and treat the tank for ick. Also stop adding the salt unless you know exactly how much to add to kill the parasite without killing the fish. Feel sparingly until the tank is cycled and don't add any more fish for now. Also check the forum library for the 'nitrogen cycle' article.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts