Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys i have so many questions

1) I already have Cynotilapia Zebroides new name, they keep breeding most of the time, but im not so sure if i really like them, because the alpha male has a pale blue with black stripes or bar, and the females blue or white pale.

2) My top favourite is MSOBO MAGUNGA the male colors and female.

3) Mainganos they keep all pale blue don´t really like them, maybe changing them for Cynotilapia Cobue and remove the maingano.

NEW STOCKLIST

1) 6 MSOBO MAGUNGA (1M/5F)
2) 6 Elongatus Neon Spot or Mpanga
3) 6 Cynotilapia Afra Cobue or Afra hara Gallireya Reef White Top

Anyhelp pliz

Main tank 125g plus 55g sump

·
Administrator
41,672 Posts
The Cynotilapia Afra Cobue is actually Cynotilapia zebroides Cobue...same Cynotilapia zebroides you have now except maybe the collection point.

Your fish may be lacking color because there are not enough in your 125G...shoot for 25 individuals for a mixed mbuna tank. I have never seen a pale maingano.

I would not mix Cynotilapia and elongatus.

Afra hara Gallreya Reef White Top...the actual name of the fish is Cynotilpia sp. hara. It is a mid blue fish...you seem to like the more brilliant colors?

Reactions: pakach61

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Cynotilapia Afra Cobue is actually Cynotilapia zebroides Cobue...same Cynotilapia zebroides you have now except maybe the collection point.

Your fish may be lacking color because there are not enough in your 125G...shoot for 25 individuals for a mixed mbuna tank. I have never seen a pale maingano.

I would not mix Cynotilapia and elongatus.

Afra hara Gallreya Reef White Top...the actual name of the fish is Cynotilpia sp. hara. It is a mid blue fish...you seem to like the more brilliant colors?
I do have already CYNOTILAPIA ZEBROIDES, but i dont really like the male when his not alpha, the maingano i guess they´re crossbreeds not real ones only 1 out of 5 are real.
i really like the elongatus neon spot, but i do like more the msobo magunga.

i like these colors from the elongatus neon spot and msobo magunga deep blue more brilliant

·
Administrator
41,672 Posts
I would not put a phantom pleco with mbuna. Demasoni are difficult to keep and probably even more expensive by the time you buy enough unsexed juveniles to get sufficient females. Shoot for 25 mbuna is a mixed gender mbuna tank that is 72" long...even more with demasoni.

·
Administrator
41,672 Posts
Then shoot for 20 fish. You are going to want at least 17 female demasoni. One male msobo.

·
Administrator
41,672 Posts
As mentioned on the other site, I wait until the extra males either start causing problems (the dominant ones) or start feeling harassed (the sub-dominant ones). Females are confirmed when they hold.

You don't try to sex the fish at purchase. You buy 2X as many unsexed juveniles as you want to end up with and rehome as they cause issues when they mature.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hello guys i have so many questions

1) I already have Cynotilapia Zebroides new name, they keep breeding most of the time, but im not so sure if i really like them, because the alpha male has a pale blue with black stripes or bar, and the females blue or white pale.

2) My top favourite is MSOBO MAGUNGA the male colors and female.

3) Mainganos they keep all pale blue don´t really like them, maybe changing them for Cynotilapia Cobue and remove the maingano.

NEW STOCKLIST

1) 6 MSOBO MAGUNGA (1M/5F)
2) 6 Elongatus Neon Spot or Mpanga
3) 6 Cynotilapia Afra Cobue or Afra hara Gallireya Reef White Top

Anyhelp pliz

Main tank 125g plus 55g sump
If you want cool and peaceful fish, yiu may want to consider neolamprolaugus multifasciatus or multi shell dwellers.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As mentioned on the other site, I wait until the extra males either start causing problems (the dominant ones) or start feeling harassed (the sub-dominant ones). Females are confirmed when they hold.

You don't try to sex the fish at purchase. You buy 2X as many unsexed juveniles as you want to end up with and rehome as they cause issues when they mature.
Sorry for so much questions.

My last fish list:

• 8 Cynotilapia Zebroides (2m/6F)
  • 8 MSOBO Magunga (2m/6f)
  • 5 Maingano (1m/4f)
  • 2 ancistrus

·
Super Moderator
5,820 Posts
I just don't understand the continual need to stock with those little Ancistrus type (Bristlenose Catfish) in African Mbuna-themed aquariums. Those little catfish will not clean the tank glass very well, and any algae growing on the rocks, etc. in the aquarium, will be appreciated by the Mbuna to nip at and graze on.
Plus, my own Mbuna had a rather nasty habit of just simply murdering any pleco's I attempted to place in with them.... :oops:
-
Bristlenose catfish will do best in peaceful & planted community tanks, where they are safe and can help in cleaning unwanted algae off of the live aquatic plants. ;)

·
Registered
687 Posts
...I just don't understand the continual need to stock with those little Ancistrus type (Bristlenose Catfish) in African Mbuna-themed aquariums...
I agree. What's the point? And I've never seen a catfish- any catfish- that didn't seem much happier when moved out of an African cichlid aquarium.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts