Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been looking into getting a new large canister, and I was looking at the eheim pro3's, then I look at the price, and the flow rate. I know flow rate isn't everything, but other than media capacity, which I frankly feel is a little over rated, especially since I clean my filters at least once a month, why would I get a pro3 for twice the cost of something like an xp3 or xp4?

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
actually, seems like the xps are supposed to have a higher media capacity than the pro3's

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Quality. I've had both. Eheim's are very well made. But, it's kind of like buying a car. The cheaper one can still get you where you want to go. At least for a while. I'd count on the Eheim outliving the XP's. I had problems with my XP that support could never resolve. I eventually gave up on it and got rid of it. I have two Eheim's still going strong. I was just very impressed with the quality over the XP's. One feels like a fine machine while the other, cheaply made. Many use them and are happy with them though. Maybe I just got a lemon. But, regardless of the issues I had, the Eheim's just feel like better made filters. And be careful of the XP gph ratings. It used to be rated empty, meaning no media. I found when filled with media, the gph was about half the rating.

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i mean there is no doubt that my xp3 puts out some water, but I wonder how it compares to the pro3's

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Like you said, putting out water isn't everything. If you need more circulation, small water pumps can do that. It's not a case of more gph = better filtration. It's not that simple.

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i mean a filter sucks up water, pushes it through media, then spits it back into the aquarium, to me, capacity and flow rate are pretty much the only thing the actual canister is responsible for, the rest is what you choose to put in it

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Most media's accomplish the same thing. They all do mechanical, chemical, and biofiltration regardless of the filter. You can put Eheim media in an XP. But, at the end of the day, if ammonia and nitrite are 0, there really was no difference in how each performed. And extra flow rate doesn't necessarily improve biofiltration. Might improve mechanical and chemical. If you've already got an XP and it's working for you, I wouldn't spend the money to upgrade. No reason to. Wait until the XP dies, then consider an Eheim based on what you got out of the XP.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
cjacob316 said:
>snip<
I know flow rate isn't everything, but other than media capacity, which I frankly feel is a little over rated, especially since I clean my filters at least once a month, why would I get a pro3 for twice the cost of something like an xp3 or xp4?
If it ain't broken why fix it? You have something that evidently works very well for you, everyone should be so lucky. When you hit onna winning combination enjoy it while it lasts.

I have a 2080 for six years or so, sometimes I think I can hear it but then I just close the cabinet and let it do what it does. I open it twice a year could prolly go longer. The pro II's won't let me go as long 'tween maintenance and I get three months to four months before flow dictates I open them. So I guess the Pro III's by pass more or whatever. For the last two years I have been squishing polyfiber around the top tray to limit this by pass but I still need to open it every six months. The trays on the pro II's fit tighter.

I am not fond of cleaning cans, orings and primers last longer the less you fuss with 'em.

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
what I have works on my current setup yes, though I do still have quite a bit of debris settled around some rocks in the corner

but I'm getting a larger tank, which is why I was thinking of a change, the current tank is a 75, getting a 125, but also keeping the 75

so i'm going to need to get some filters, just trying to figure out the best way to go with it, and I guess i'd rather get a few more xp3's or xp4's than spend so much on one pro3, or any og the "large tank" canisters

or maybe I'll just look into getting some eheim classics

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I'll throw in my two cents:

I used to think that Eheim lovers were filter snobs... 'til I got an Eheim on a trade. Just a silly little ECCO canister. I found that A) That filter is *quiet* and B) it never gets gummed up because Eheim filter media is really phenomenal.... specifically the ceramic mechanical stuff. It really keeps the maintenance way down.

I bought buckets of the mechanical media and have it running in my Rena XP4 and have modded my Magnum 350's so I can fill them up with it. Consequently, I rarely have to clean these things since waste breaks down faster than the filters fill up with it. It seems to be a waste of time to clean out the filters more often than 3-4 months.

My next filter purchases will very likely be Eheim Classics, since they come filled with media and are ready to go. They're relatively inexpensive, too. I love the Rena XP series, but they are pricey and don't come filled with media... which means I need to spend another $20 for some Eheim stuff.

As for flow rates, they can be meaningless since the test conditions aren't standardized in the industry. The important "flow rate" is that after the filter has been filled with media and been running for several weeks.

-Ryan

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
There is no comparison. The Eheim is the best canister on the market. I am speaking from experience. I know they are a little pricey. But trust me I have tried other filters and none have outlasted the Eheims 15 and still running, no problems. Look into the Eheim 2250,2260 or 2262 (same as the 2260 just with a more powerful pump). The 2262 you can find at BigAlsonline.com. Good Luck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts