Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys I have never used canister filters before only HOB and undergravel and I feel it may be time to catch up to times as they seem to be far superior to an Whisper or Penguin I currently own. My father does have a Cascade 1000 on his 125gallon and cleans it once or twice a year so that is the only canister I have to compare anything too.

My question is WHICH ONE?? I was browsing amazon some AQUA-TOP ones I would be interested in the AQUA=TOP CF400
http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com ... ilter.html
http://www.truaqua.com/aquatop-canister ... 400uv.html

Has anyone ever used these? I cant find any official reviews but also can not find a single negative consumer review. I know you get what you pay for but sometimes you also pay for a name and get the same thing cheaper in a smaller less known package.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Never used this brand but like you mentioned you get what you pay for. If your doing cichlids one cascade 1000 is nowhere near where it needs to be on a 125. I own one and it is half my filtration on a 55. It's kinda like getting a tattoo, don't go the cheap route you might regret it later. What size tank are you looking for a canister for? What are you keeping in the tank?

·
Registered
705 Posts
im with flipper. the cascade alone doesnt turn over the water nearly enough. it is however a quality canister filter with very easy to change out media. i just load mine up with filter floss (pillow stuffing) and bio media. works great and i only clean once every cpl months. (once or twice a year is far too little) either way canisters r the way to go and cheap korean knockoffs are to be avoided... just my two cents gl in your choice

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The 125 gallon has just one canister filter but also 2 emperor 400s and 1 double cartridge whisper. And it is minimally stocked with a couple catfish and severums and other oddballs.

Im looking to put a canister on a 29gal tank which right now just has a penguin 350 but want
something that would be adequate for future use on a larger tank such as a 55 or 75gallon.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Anthraxx8500 said:
im with flipper. the cascade alone doesnt turn over the water nearly enough. it is however a quality canister filter with very easy to change out media. i just load mine up with filter floss (pillow stuffing) and bio media. works great and i only clean once every cpl months. (once or twice a year is far too little) either way canisters r the way to go and cheap korean knockoffs are to be avoided... just my two cents gl in your choice
Go with the cascade 1000 or 1200. Keep your Hobs you will need them as well. The cascades are near the price of the one you listed in the original post. Just look around a little more. Yeah those 2 for one uv filters remind me of the old school t.v. that had a vcr in it . Wouldn't shake a stick at them IME .

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How about those fluidized sandbed filter I have never used one of those, I dont really need mechanical filtration my water is crystal clear Im just looking for ways to make my tank better, the only reason I am even thinking of a canister is to put some sechem matrix in there to try an establish an anaerobic colony of bacteria to help keep nitrates down but Im not sure how successful that would even be.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
You can go with an ehiem 2227 or just a plain old wet/dry.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I mean really you can cycle a cascade and run it with no media or just biomax.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts