Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am seriously thinking about switching to a canister filter on my 46gal, I currently have a Marineland hanging on the back of the tank and it doesnt seem to work to well and is loud. Any info as to rather or not this is a good move would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Get an Aquaclear, greatest HOB filters and they are extremely quiet.. go with a 70 gallon..
i have two 50's on my 50 gallon tank and everything is squeaky clean.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Canisters do seem to run quieter and last a long time between cleanings. When you do need to clean, they are somewhat more effort than just pulling a pad out to rinse so those balance. A good part of quite operation is that the motor and filter can be put in a cabinet under the tank out that muffles and noise. There is also no splash from water returning to the tank. For my money the Ehiem 2213 would be my choice for that size tank and worth the extra expense. I do not recommend the Cascade canisters. Cheap, but too CHEAP.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I run 2 canisters on my tank and you wouldnt know they are running if you didnt see the water moving on the surface, and they are not under my cabinet any longer. It is nice to not have to clean it but once every other month or so and honestly it isnt as much work as a lot of peoples say. Granted I am only 28, but it only takes like 5 minutes. Just carry it to the tub and squeeze out the sponges in a bucket of tank water and I dip the trays a few times in a bucket of water to rinse them off and snap the lid back on. If you dont mind spending a few more dollars and want a SILENT tank get yourself an Eheim. I have the Fluval 405 and had a Cascade 1000 too, although they arent as silents as the Eheim is they are both still quieter then my Penguin 200 even with the tank topped right up.

If you dont mind carrying like 25 pounds or less once every 2 months to clean I would say go for it! You wont be disappointed. :thumb:

·
Registered
464 Posts
Canisters are great but honestly, like Killakam recommended the Aquaclear is dead silent. I honestly can't hear the difference with it on or off and my canister filter on. The only time it will get noisy is if something gets stuck inside the impeller. I make it a point to clean the impeller each time i clean the aquaclear.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Cromak said:
Canisters are great but honestly, like Killakam recommended the Aquaclear is dead silent. I honestly can't hear the difference with it on or off and my canister filter on. The only time it will get noisy is if something gets stuck inside the impeller. I make it a point to clean the impeller each time i clean the aquaclear.
I think the noise level on the aquaclear is hit or miss. I have a very quiet AC50 and a really loud AC110. The AC110 noise was from the motor.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
To me the noise is just a matter of physics. Any motor will have some hum. Any water moving will make some noise. If the hum is hidden under the cabinet, it will be muffled more than on the back of the tank. The water splash noise is pretty much gone when the water returning to the tank is under water. Both HOB and canisters can make noise when things are not right but when running right, the canister hides the noise better.

·
Banned
406 Posts
I can leave my doors open and you dont hear my Eheims period...and my FX5 is barley audible. My AC110 is loud...so were 2 AC70s I had.

Just depends if you get a quite AC or not. So far I havent had any luck getting a quiet one.

·
Registered
155 Posts
They are all made the same i don't think they hide a quiet one, anyway i have never had any experience with canister filters myself.
i have 3 AC50 right now and i am extremely happy with all 3, the only way you get noise is from the water coming out of the filter other then that its quite if you have your tank filled to the top... my small 2 watt air pump makes more noise then my filters all together do.
Try a canister and see how it goes.

·
Registered
252 Posts
My 2217's are very quiet and reliable and effective. My HOB's that I have running with them are pretty noisy, conversely the 2 - AC30's that I have on my 20 long are in the bedroom and I don't ever hear them either. So I guess my point is don't think cheap, think quality and you will most likely be pleased.

·
Registered
464 Posts
The AC's I notice you need to run them with the lid off, otherwise it vibrates that's most of the noise. then they are pretty much dead silent if you keep it off. Only noise as i said above comes when debris gets into the impeller. If it's cleaned well I don't know why you would have any noise.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I run both as well and agree :thumb:

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm running a Fluval 305, and an AC70 on my 55 gallon tank. I love them both.

A note on canisters:
Put it somewhere that you can easily get at it to maintain it. Also when you first start it up you may hear some noise due to air being trapped in it. It will slowly work its way out and the filter will become quiet again.

A note on the AC70 I use:
When I first got it, it was loud. The top vibrated (as mentioned above) and it sounded what I considered louder than it should be. However after it ran for a few days I realized the noise had almost disappeared. In reading various posts around here, other people have experienced the same thing with them, so give it some time if it's loud when you initially install it. And as mentioned, keeping them clean helps. :thumb:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts