Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
No experience with them, but IMO, I think it's nothing more than a gimmick. With proper care and maintenance of your tank(s), I think UV is a waste of time. I had an external UV(Turbo Twist) on one of my tanks and thought "wow look how clear the water is". Then after the bulb burned out, I realized that my water was just as clear and my fish just as healthy as before. I could watch undistorted TV through the tank if I wanted. So no more UV for me!

·
Registered
168 Posts
UV lights are a proven technology that works. Used correctly it will remove algae blooms from water in days and get your water clear. Once this is done, no need for the light as a proper running tank, the water will be clear all the time.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
A canister with a built-in sterilizer shouldn't have a flow rate faster than the sterilizer part can handle.

I'll 2nd that a sterilizer is a nice luxury to have. To me, clear water is a nice side effect, but I run UV units to help keep the water free of evil little critters that'll get your fish when stressed.

-Ryan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.