Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new fluval 307 and am preparing for install. I took everything out of the three media boxes and filled them with bio media substrate. Bio balls, bio max ceramic, crushed coral bits, etc..

Do I need to be concerned about flows at some point? Can the pump adequately push through all of this stuff?

·
Super Moderator
2,349 Posts
You should be fine as long as you followed the media stacking order as listed in the filter manual AND do not overfill the media baskets so they don't stack properly and you can easily close and latch the filter head.

Did you use all Fluval media or a mix of various brand media? Are you also using any stock sponge or pads?

·
Administrator
41,852 Posts
I would not use coral bits that are too fine. Crushed coral starts off the size of the old-fashioned neon colored fish tank gravel and anything smaller than that should be in a media bag so it does not sift through the openings in the filter baskets and go everywhere.

Mine has dissolved over the years and is starting to be too fine.

Reactions: Deeda

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I used a mix of fluval bio max rings and media I got off amazon like plastic bio balls, coral pieces, etc.

I won’t put anything in there thats too small and could get through the grates in the baskets. Will keep an eye on it and make sure it doesn’t get too small.

I’ve even considered removing the sponges since I just wanted this to be a dedicated bio filter. I kept them in for now.

·
Administrator
41,852 Posts
Your biological controls grow on the sponges as well. Good idea to leave them in.

Reactions: Deeda

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Filters in and flows fine. Enjoying less micro bubbles in the tank now due to removal of one HOB penguin 350 w/bio wheels. I took the media from the baskets in the penguin and added it with the fresh media in the fluval to help get that seeded.

Holding off for a while longer before I pull the bio wheels out of my remaining HOB penguin. If all goes well in 2-3 weeks I'll be looking at finding some j. ornatus.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts