Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a second cascade 1000 canister filter coming within the next two days. I'm looking for ideas for the input and output, where would you put them? The current one picks up on the right and the spray bar comes on the left side. I posted a pic so you can see the current setup.

Attachments

·
Registered
449 Posts
I would put the pick up on the other corner and the out put in that open spot between the end of the spray bar and your current pick up. and, I would not use the spray bar. I would aim the out put kind of down and toward the front at 45 degree angles to the surface and the sides so that it circulates water to the pick ups.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Old Newbie said:
I would put the pick up on the other corner and the out put in that open spot between the end of the spray bar and your current pick up. and, I would not use the spray bar. I would aim the out put kind of down and toward the front at 45 degree angles to the surface and the sides so that it circulates water to the pick ups.
That's what I was thinking. Another question...Do you put the pickup right above the pfs? Or does that create problems, my current one is about an inch above.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I keep my pick ups low near the substrate, about a inch above, that's where the solid waste collects. It may take a bit of trial and error, but you can probably get the flow adjusted to where most of the solids are picked up by the filters and minimal vacuuming is needed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for discussing this important subject.
I'm currently seeding a new canister filter for our 50 gallon planted aquarium. I've been employing the circular water movement in our aquarium for the last year. Currently I have the old filter setup with the tank outflow low and on one side of the end of our skinny tank while the tank inflow is near the surface on the same end of the tank. The second canister filter is oriented on the opposite end of the tank with its inflow feeding the outflow of the other filter across the length of the tank. So the inflows take the outflows from each filter. One filter is a Fluval 306 and the new filter is also a Fluval except it is a 406. You would think this would create a strong circular motion in the tank, but with the long and narrow tank it isn't so heavy that the plants tilt over much.
Brian

·
Registered
165 Posts
ironspider said:
I have a second cascade 1000 canister filter coming within the next two days...
I have two 1000s. One is on the left pointed lengthwise across the back of the aquarium. The other is on the right aimed towards the front of the aquarium. I did not use the spray bar with either filter. The heads are both pointed level. Two 4 inch air stones provide surface agitation.

My intakes are about two inches above the substrate. I use a heavier substrate than sand so having them low is not much of an issue.

I am not 100% certain that I am doing it right, but there is not a lot of detritus on the aquarium floor. And whenever "dust" is kicked up by one of the fish it moves in the flow of water, so I guess the setup is okay.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts