Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Im looking to replace my 2 HOB marineland penguin 350s with a canister filter for my 60 gallon Mbuna tank. My HOBs together currently filter 700gph. The reason I want to switch is because of the noise level and the maintence is a pain. I'm not sure which model to get when it comes to canister filters. I've been trying to research but I'm spending too much time getting nowhere. What model do you think I should go with? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Eheim and Fluval are the top choices. The Fluval 07 series has some good features, like quick detachable hoses and the media trays pull out. Eheim has models like this as well. The old tried and true Eheim 2217, lacks some of these features but has less to malfunction, although I have had Fluvals that have lasted 15 or more years. Both are virtually silent. I would get two of whatever though like what Aussieman said. I’d probably get a Fluval 207 and 307. Fill the 207 with fine filtration media and the 307 with mostly bio media like pot scrubbers or course foam. You won’t have to mess with the bio filter often, and the smaller 207 will be a easy clean.

·
Administrator
41,873 Posts
Canisters are definitely quieter, but IMO maintenance is easier on an HOB.

I intensely dislike the hoses and bulky filter intakes and returns on the Fluvals.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks folks. I think I am going to stick with what I have because I don't really feel like spending the money on two canisters right now. I make my own cartridges using the empty cartridges supplied with the filter and premium filter foam. Do you think there is anything else I could put in the filters that would improve filtration?

·
Administrator
41,873 Posts
Look into Aqua Clear HOBs. No cartridges...just a sponge and media which you can swap out for whatever you want.

What is wrong with your current filtration?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Thanks folks. I think I am going to stick with what I have because I don't really feel like spending the money on two canisters right now. I make my own cartridges using the empty cartridges supplied with the filter and premium filter foam. Do you think there is anything else I could put in the filters that would improve filtration?
Well, you can always swap over to something like MarinePure, which will improve your biological filtration. Then just filter floss or whatever for your mechanical filtration.

But yeah, probably the better choice right now. When you say noisy, what is causing the HOBs to make the noise? Is it the vibration against the glass? The water pouring into the tank?

As for maintenance, well canister filters are far more of a pain to maintain than HOBs lol, so if you are looking to reduce maintenance then canisters are not the right way to go.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
If the HOB filters are Aqua Clear filters, I would keep them. The only canister to buy is the Eheim, But I do have a couple Fluvals. I would also go bigger than the Eheim 2217 just in case you get a bigger tank in the future. The Eheim 2217 is a super reliable workhorse filter for its size.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Look into Aqua Clear HOBs. No cartridges...just a sponge and media which you can swap out for whatever you want.

What is wrong with your current filtration?
The other top notch hang on back are the Seachem Tidal series (made by Sicce). They are similar to the Aquaclear models in that they have an open chamber to pack with media of your choice. It actually has a tray to do this making it a little easier to clean in my opinion. They main difference is that the pump is actually in the aquarium. In areas like where I live, this is a big deal as we get multiple power outages a week. Aquaclear‘s often do not prime after a power outage, where the Tidals start everytime.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
The Aqua Clear sponge if you rinse out in a large bucket of aquarium water you keep most of the biological. That brand of HOB filter doesn't keep nickel and diming you.

·
Administrator
41,873 Posts
My AquaClears restart every time as long as the tank is full of water. I've had them on my smaller tanks for over ten years. I would not want the pump in the aquarium.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My AquaClears restart every time as long as the tank is full of water. I've had them on my smaller tanks for over ten years. I would not want the pump in the aquarium.
Mine AquaClear usually start back, but not always. It’s an annoyance to me.

What’s wrong with having the pump in the tank? Seems like a good feature to me.

·
Administrator
41,873 Posts
Visual appeal and occupation of space in the tank. I have all my equipment behind a 3D background.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Visual appeal and occupation of space in the tank. I have all my equipment behind a 3D background.
So aesthetics. I am not fond of the 3D backgrounds as they take up a ton of space, and just not that appealing to me. I’d rather have the small pump intrusion in the tank and a black background…Can’t hardly see the pump on a black background. But that’s just me. To each their own.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts