Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably a difficult question to ask as nobody knows much about Lethrinops anyway, lol. But I'm re-tooling my setup and will be purchasing 6-7 juvenile (1.5") Lethrinops within the next week or so to make my 40 long a Lethrinops-species tank. However, I have one fully grown male Lethrinops - currently in the tank - who I don't know where to place. These guys are incredibly docile and peaceful (even conspecifically) so I can't imagine he'd give the small ones a hard time. I have an empty 29 that could be used to grow out the young ones but that seems inefficient.

Any ideas? My overwhelming bias right now is to just put them all in the 40 long and hope that the adult male isn't going to pick on them. I really can't see him having an issue but I'd like some input.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Any ideas at all?

Experience with Lethrinops doesn't matter, would just like some opinions.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm actually in the market for some wild caught Lethrinops sp. "Red Cap" (Itungi). To answer your question, you won't have a problem with 6-7 juveniles as tank mates with your adult male. Most Lethrinops are peaceful sand-dwelling species.

Currently I'm keeping a breeding group of adult Blue Neons in the same tank with 6 Blue Neon juveniles and they are one big happy disfunctional family. I'd say go for it.

F-1

·
Registered
9,070 Posts
To overgeneralize, most Malawi cichlids ignore juveniles if they are not small enough to fit into their mouths. The smaller fish are not competition, so they will only get token chasing that is mostly harmless. They will probably be mostly ignored.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.