Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So...I'm fighting with a friend of mine and got really upset, so I went to the cat rescue where I volunteer. Spending time there with the animals always calms me down. This old woman walks in with a bag from walmart and gives it to me. There's a cichlid in the bag and she told me she bought it for the cats to have a "fresh snack"........Long story short, I brought the cichlid home with me, but I do not know what it is. Can you identify this cichlid and tell me if it will get along with the others I have?

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Guessing a very tank bred or pond bred Neolamprologus brichardi.
To be honest it kind of has some of the features of pulcher too. So no way I could say it is pure brichardi.

Nice fish all the same breed like rabbits and are kind of rough on tankmates.

All thre best James

·
Registered
40 Posts
that looks like a NeoLamprologus of some sort maybe pulcher, and i dont know if they are alright with Mbuna but my gut says no since they are Tangs

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I read that Neolamprologus brichardi will kill everything in the tank other than them. Does this still apply if there is only one?

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Singles are not such a problem most of the time.
Its only when they form a breeding swarm they get to kill stuff.
I dunno what tank size do you have and what other fish?
Singles can make a good but kind of stroppy inclusion to many tanks.

All the best James

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
24Tropheus said:
Singles are not such a problem most of the time.
Its only when they form a breeding swarm they get to kill stuff.
I dunno what tank size do you have and what other fish?
Singles can make a good but kind of stroppy inclusion to many tanks.

All the best James
I have 1 Yellow LabxRed Zebra hybrid, 1 Jewel or Hemichromis guttatus,1 Metriaclima lombardoi female,
1 Labidochromis sp. Hongi male, and 1 Pleco. They were in a 55g until my friend broke it, until I can get a new tank, they are in a 10g ( I know that that is way too small and will become an issue soon, but right now they are all 1"-1 1/2")

Here is a better photo of it.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
I think this latest addition is the least of your problems. Some of those guys are not a good mix in a 55g long term.
A 10g boy that's a squeeze.
My advice would be dump the lot where you got em and plan for the 55g with fish that could live together long term.

All the best James

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
24Tropheus said:
I think this latest addition is the least of your problems. Some of those guys are not a good mix in a 55g long term.
A 10g boy that's a squeeze.
My advice would be dump the lot where you got em and plan for the 55g with fish that could live together long term.

All the best James
I can't take them back. Before I knew about my LFS' here, I got the ones I have from Petsmart. They won't take them back. Might be able to get Petco to take them, but I'd be losing a good $30.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Why not try taking them back to one of the LFS's?

You're going to be out $30 anyway when they all kill one another.

I agree with Neo. brichardi with something else mixed in there.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I found a lfs that will take them. It's hard to part with them, bit they will be safer this way and that is more important. Probably just going to.get a pair of convicts from the same lfs.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Sad. A lot of the N. Brchardi or N. Pulcher are goregous fish when they mature. I have kept them before, when breeding they are miserable and chased off my 8 inch Haps. Otherwise they are just pretty fish to look at.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I tried a daffodil brichardi with thr first couple cichlids I bought. I had to take it back the next day because it terrorized the poor africans from the first minutes in the tank

1 - 12 of 12 Posts