Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if I can put a canister filter intake in the corner of a tank. I have a FX5 and a Eheim 2217 on my 90 gallon. I have the Eheims intake approx. 15" from the side of the glass and the FX5s intake approx. 15" from the Eheims and its too much equipment to look at. So I was thinking of putting both intakes in the corner. I was going to put the Eheim in the back left corner and the FX5 in the back right corner.

The Eheim is mainly being used for biological and the FX5 is being used for both, biological and mechanical. I would add a maxijet 400 powerhead in the left corner mid way down the glass with the outlet blowing towards the right corner where the FX5 intake would be to push all the debris towards it. I might have to buy a hydor koralia evolution since it has a broader flow, because Im thinking that the maxi-jet might blow sand towards the intake too.

With that said, will the tank still filter properly with the intakes in the corners like that?

I had another question too. Since im using the Eheim 2217 strictly for biological do I have to have the intake low in the tank or can I have it 4-5" below the water line? Im using the Eheim universal install kit (spraybar & intake) and the intake has 3x - 4" sections that are detachable. Id only use 1 of those sections plus add the intake strainer. If I could run it like that, it would reduce the clutter even more.

Thanks for any help coming my way!

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
With that said, will the tank still filter properly with the intakes in the corners like that?
I don't think it's optimal, but still will filter just fine, particularly with all the internal current that you're planning.

Since im using the Eheim 2217 strictly for biological do I have to have the intake low in the tank or can I have it 4-5" below the water line?
Again, with the current you'll have, it'll be fine.

Just my .02 and HTH

·
Banned
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool thanks...Id really like to keep it how it is but the 2 intakes are really an eyesore. I went to HD today to get some white PVC piping and krylon fusion satin & gloss. Im going to make another spraybar and intake but paint it black. I think its the gray PVC thats sticking out too much.

I hope the black paint will work...I really dont like the idea of having something painted in my tank but theres been PLENTY of people that have done it with no ill effect.

Thanks for the help prov356! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I used a black Krylon plastic paint and had that PVC in my tank for over 3 years without any ill effects. Where I had algae build up it did take the paint off though.

My canister intakes have always been in the corner. Water goes out one side and back in the other, should create somewhat of a cycle rotating water. I realize you have two intakes, but it will work itself out. If it's sucking in water and returning it to the tank, you're good!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts