Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

As the question states, can you mix cyps and paracyps? The tank is a standard 125g, 72x18x22.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Depends on the cyp, if you have a more aggressive "jumbo" cyp than they may terrorize the paracyps, but any of the nonjumbo or micros should be a safe bet. I had paracyps and unitas in a 29G

·
Registered
338 Posts
The 2 species ignore each other and get along fine.The paracyps stay around the rocks so you do not want any aggressive rock dwellers/breeders with them.

·
Super Moderator
40,893 Posts
I have read posts claiming they crossbreed. FWIW.

·
Super Moderator
40,893 Posts
A picture of what? You can't ID hybrid offspring visually.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If they cross breed then I will skip it. No use in creating worthless fry when cyps demand high prices.

·
Registered
310 Posts
they can not cross breed they breed it totally separate ways, paracyps breeds with rocks and cyps open water. Really any two species can prob crossbreed if both parents willing

·
Registered
790 Posts
borohands8593 said:
they can not cross breed they breed it totally separate ways, paracyps breeds with rocks and cyps open water. Really any two species can prob crossbreed if both parents willing
So Say a little gold occie want to get with a moba Gib. I would even buy those if this could happen.

Its been done, just because they breed different in the wild does not mean that with the confine's of a aquarium that a cyp/payacyp hybrid is not possible.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Where has it been done? I have kept paracyps with all different types of cyps for many years and have never even seen them look at each other. If somebody has a pic. of them spawning together I would be very surprised. I wouldn't believe anyone that says they have seen them crossbreed without a pic.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Honestly, if you get scientific about it, if two fish species are kept in the same tank and are breeding at the same time in close vicinity than almost any combo would be possible since many cichlids are close enough in relation that any combo of egg and sperm could produce viable offspring.

However, the odds of this are minimal and paracyps are often kept with cyps since they inhabit different parts of the tank. I breed unitas and have had paracyps with em since they were fry with no interbreeding.

·
Registered
790 Posts
borohands8593 said:
Honestly, if you get scientific about it, if two fish species are kept in the same tank and are breeding at the same time in close vicinity than almost any combo would be possible since many cichlids are close enough in relation that any combo of egg and sperm could produce viable offspring.

However, the odds of this are minimal and paracyps are often kept with cyps since they inhabit different parts of the tank. I breed unitas and have had paracyps with em since they were fry with no interbreeding.
I can see this happening, in fact maybe someone know that issue that i'm talking about in cichlid news where a Haplotaxodon microlepis fry were found in the mouth of a female champsochromis or some similar species to it. I can't remember exactly what the other fish was.

·
Registered
310 Posts
With fry looking alike as little wigglers it could also be possible that purebred fry end up in the mouth of another holding female due to poor mothering of one species and another mom sucking them up thinking theyre hers of the other species. Really unless proven otherwise almost anything is possible in the confinement of a small tank :)

·
Registered
790 Posts
borohands8593 said:
With fry looking alike as little wigglers it could also be possible that purebred fry end up in the mouth of another holding female due to poor mothering of one species and another mom sucking them up thinking theyre hers of the other species. Really unless proven otherwise almost anything is possible in the confinement of a small tank :)
agreed

The tank that the haplo's were found though was over 400G I think. I can't find that issue to read it again

1 - 16 of 16 Posts