Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Can you identify this?

2K views 38 replies 9 participants last post by  YoungCrazyCatWoman 
#1 ·
I just bought a new cichlid from Petsmart and it was labeled Pseudotropheus app. Mix. Can anyone identify exactly what my new cichlid is? And possibly sex it?

The fins are not actually blue, that's due to the flash on my camera.

See less See more
#7 ·
If it's a keny, it's definiteyl a hybrid.

Cool finnage though.

#8 ·
I've had 3 young kenyi turn from blue to yellow (since they were males) and none ever looked anything close to that.

(Had about 9 kenyi total)

#10 ·
typo, kenyi :)

#11 ·
YoungCrazyCatWoman said:
I just thought that because mine is more yellowish with black vertical stripes like a transforming male. Not so much the white/blue of a young female.
There are cases where dominant females have taken on some degree of male colouration. In addition, the barring on the fish isn't perfect, so it is feasible the blue of the typical fish isn't what it should be either.

Having said that, it is more probable this is young male.

#13 ·
Fogelhund said:
YoungCrazyCatWoman said:
I just thought that because mine is more yellowish with black vertical stripes like a transforming male. Not so much the white/blue of a young female.
There are cases where dominant females have taken on some degree of male colouration. In addition, the barring on the fish isn't perfect, so it is feasible the blue of the typical fish isn't what it should be either.

Having said that, it is more probable this is young male.
A young male Keni?

#14 ·
I dunno man... none ever had dark bars like that. they were always blue, then lastly transitioning to pale yellow after the dorsal fin started showing yellow hues.

Wish I had taken more pictures of mine as I saw them turning going... NOO!! Not more males!

Here's a youngish male (sub dom)

female:

#16 ·
There is a reality that none of the fish pictured in this thread are high quality kenyi (Metriaclima lombardoi) The barring isn't great on any of them and unfortunately really bad on YCCW's. It is hard to attribute why the barring isn't perfect, it could be poor breeding over many generations, although it isn't impossible it is due to hybridization.

I think the lesson though is to not purchase fish, unless you know what they are, if they are good examples of their species, and if they are compatible with the current fish and setup. Impulse fish purchasing decisions often have consequences.

#18 ·
Fogelhund said:
There is a reality that none of the fish pictured in this thread are high quality kenyi (Metriaclima lombardoi) The barring isn't great on any of them and unfortunately really bad on YCCW's. It is hard to attribute why the barring isn't perfect, it could be poor breeding over many generations, although it isn't impossible it is due to hybridization.

I think the lesson though is to not purchase fish, unless you know what they are, if they are good examples of their species, and if they are compatible with the current fish and setup. Impulse fish purchasing decisions often have consequences.
So was my cichlid just completely mismarked as Pseudotropheus app Mix?

#22 ·
Report back in two years. :lol: They are just lulling you into a false sense of security right now, the fireworks begin when they mature in 8 months or so.

My thought when I saw the label Pseudotropheus mix was that they were telling you up front it was a hybrid.

#23 ·
Fogelhund said:
Glaneon said:
If it's a keny, it's definiteyl a hybrid.

Cool finnage though.
Why do you say definately a hybrid?
*wipes brow* Glad I'm not the only one that can't spell definitely :)

Anyway, we have 2 chains (4 stores) and 1 good LFS with better quality fish and never seen any Kenyi that look like that. I also spent a lot of time looking at pictures of Kenyi and that little guy she has... is definitely wierd.

I mean, other than the stripe width/design & mouth - I wouldn't say it had any kenyi at all in it.

#24 ·
This might come across as disrespectful and I don't mean it to be, but as long as he is a healthy and active fish, that's all that matters to me (I do know not to mix Africans/South Americans and so on). That, and that everyone in my tank gets along. It doesn't really bother me to have a hybrid. I'm not looking for show cichlids or anything like that. I'm just a zoology major that loves fish and recently discovered cichlids. I keep them more because I like having their beautiful presence in my room and love watching their personalities come out as they get older :)

#25 ·
people have different likes and expectations from their fish and tanks,having said that ,
with mbuna ,you will get more of their natural behaviours keeping 1 male with multiple female of each
I might be corrected but I think you have a south american near the end of your video
Like you said though its your tank and fish and I wish you and the fish all the best :thumb:

#26 ·
There's nothing wrong with having a hybrid, really. The problem is that they tend to have unpredictable personalities (you can't generalize about them the way you can with "pure" species) and they can get large/ugly/whatever.

However, like it's been said, wait a year or two. Everyone gets along now. They won't.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.