Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is one of the fish I bought today, and within a half hour or less he is nipping at all the other fish and chasing them. Can you tell me what he is, and if this will subside, or if I should remove him? Thanks!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Yes that is an electric blue Ahli They get mean

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I would suggest giving them more places to hide combined with netting and holding him for a short time. He may straighten up. He may also just be trying to get the top dog position and after a bit he may/may not get his way. If it is not a chase where he has singled out one fish, I would give it time. New fish will take some time and most of the chasing will not be anything to cause damage. I find my Ahli give no trouble.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you. I'm going to give him 24 hours to get act together. lol. I dont want my new guys to be afraid in their new home. :thumb: I'm not home now, but my husband is, and keeping an eye on them. Maybe a time out in a net is a good idea! Thanks!

·
Registered
211 Posts
they are known to be very mean so just keep that in mind. if he starts chasing other fish I wiould pull him. I had one

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
It is a Scieanochromis fryeri. Mean and aggressive are all relative. What else is in the tank, and what are the dimensions of the tank?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its a 125 Long. So far I only have a Aulonocura Rubescens, Benga Sunshine, Fragon Blood, and Ovatus in the tank. All are around 4". Will be buying more fish over the week. I have the lights off. My husband said since the lights have been off he has calmed down and is now sleeping under one of the slate stones with 2 of the other fish. So hoping this was jsut a one time thing.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Fish are like people in some ways. We all know people who are mean as sin when they are with the right group but put them in another situation amd they are meek as kittens. Can tell about people by a quick glance and the same goes for fish. My ahli have never been mean or aggressive but I keep them with plenty to do besides be mean. Mostly they give me trouble with too much breeding. Maybe he misses his girlfriends? Daylight may change the whole picture. Wish you well.

·
Registered
211 Posts
MandyBlue said:
Its a 125 Long. So far I only have a Aulonocura Rubescens, Benga Sunshine, Fragon Blood, and Ovatus in the tank. All are around 4". Will be buying more fish over the week. I have the lights off. My husband said since the lights have been off he has calmed down and is now sleeping under one of the slate stones with 2 of the other fish. So hoping this was jsut a one time thing.
this is what i had mine in with

1 - 11 of 11 Posts