Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We purchased this fish from a breeder as a Turquoise Hap. I'm not too sure if he was correct or honest with us. Please give your opinions, any help is more than welcome.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We actually have a couple of those in our tank already. The color has been throwing us off (or lack of...). It is a darker gray, with very faint vertical stripes and no hint of blue. Would this indicate it is a female?

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
mikeb3rdid said:
We actually have a couple of those in our tank already. The color has been throwing us off (or lack of...). It is a darker gray, with very faint vertical stripes and no hint of blue. Would this indicate it is a female?
Female, or male that hasn't coloured up... depends on size.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's at about 2 1/2" now, it just had us wondering because it is growing slower than the rest of the fish we purchased at the same time and is the only one who shows no sign of coloring up. It's also disappointing that the breeder (who is said to be very knowledgeable) sold us the wrong fish or misrepresented it as a Turquoise Hap. Now, a couple months later, we have heard other questionable reports of the same breeder/dealer. Lesson learned I guess...

·
Registered
843 Posts
Kind of sucks that you didn't get what you wanted. . .but at least you have experience with this fish, and it's not something that will destroy your tank.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess it is a plus, we have one "Iceberg" and one EB, so at least we may be able to look forward to some little Ahli's in the future...

·
Registered
478 Posts
+1 Scian. Fryeri....75% or higher it's a female....is that your male in your avatar photo? Could end up with some nice fry out of the 'mistake'....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes, that is the male in the pic. We also have a much younger male as well. Both fish were purchased after the one in question so I am fairly positive it's not a subdominant thing going on.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I now have high hopes! The one in my avatar photos is one of my favorite fish, some little ones like him will not upset me. We are now contemplating a frye tank... :wink:

·
Registered
478 Posts
a fry tank is a must!...check well known chain pet shops, I recently got a 10 gallon with lid, light and HOB filter for $20....should have bought two.

A reverse trio can sometimes work for this species, I had a reverse trio and it worked...the key is you have to strip the female...you can't remove her completely or it's all over for the beta male.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts