Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Have just been reading about Aulonocara Jacobfrieberg, of which I have 4.

I have been of the opinion that I have always had 3 females and 1 male (larger, dominant, more vivid coloration), although since looking at some pictures online of supposed female friebergs I am no longer sure (as some of my 'females' are quite colourful themselves).

If you are familiar with these and have a spare moment, would you mind watching this video and let me know what sex you think they are? The male comes into the video about 17 seconds in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbYGHrfs ... ture=feedu

Thanks very much,

Ian.

·
Registered
284 Posts
All 4 are males. Three of them look to be Eureka's and I am unsure on the 4th. They should all show most of their color without females. The most dominant fish will show the best color with lesser fish showing color but not as vibrant as the dominant fish.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies. Can't believe they're all males!

Cater20155 it's interesting that you think the 4th might not be the same as the other 3. Is it possible that it's just colouring up differently as the dominant male peacock?

I would love to hear anyone's thoughts on what variety of peacock it could be, it's always nice to know exactly what's in your own tank! (A bit annoying as they were all sold to me as Aulonocara jacobfreibergi!).

Cheers,

Ian.

·
Registered
284 Posts
The 3 that look like Eurekas are the 3 fish that you have in the camera at 10 second mark. The peacock that is flared up at the 18 second mark does not, in the video, look like the other 3. It may be a jake of some sort or even a eureka, but in the video its hard to tell.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, it is fair to say that the 1 peacock looks noticeably different to the other 3 (more in colour than in shape, markings, etc), the video is an excellent representation of this.

I am wondering whether he is just a particularly dark eureka? Is a Jake just a general name for a fish from the Jacobfreibergi family?

G

·
theres all different variants of jakes as well.. take a look at the profiles section of the webstie look under genus aulonocara... you'll see theres quite a few jakes

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just been looking around online and I reckon it could be an Otter Point? Whereas the other 3, Eurekas. Here's a video of an Otter Point and it looks very similar to the mystery peacock!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlioTU9g ... re=related

I am presuming there is no problem in keeping different varieties of Aulonocara Jacobfrieberg together, so long as they are all male?

Thanks

·
Registered
869 Posts
m1ke715m said:
eureka reds were line bred from otter points... basically its the same peacock... just more intense colors
Although this may be true but it would be hard to confirm that.... However there's plenty of folks who believe the Eurekas are possibly a hybrid cross between two peacocks...

On top of that... there are so many careless breeders out there that trying to identify an aquarium strain as one or the other is pointless.

To the OP... your fishes are more than likely all MALES and I agree that one of them does not look right when compared to the other three in overall uniformity.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts